Configure large volume on Sun StorageTek 2540 array

Hi,

We have 12x1TB SATA disks in our array and I need to create 10TB volume. I defined new storage profile on array and when I tried to add volume, I faced with ~2TB limit for new volumes. I didn't find how to set another limit on my storage profile. Is there is a way to configure one large volume or I need to configure 10x1TB volumes?.

The documentation for this device is on the Sun web site. If it truly cannot support large volumes, you'll have to go with zfs or lvm to combine the disks into one volume.

You can remove the 2tb volume limit by flashing newer firmware on the 2540. On my array, I upgraded from 6.x.x to 7.35.10.10 and am now able to create 8tb volumes (I don't have enough 1tb disks for a 10tb volume, so I can't test that particular volume size for you). One thing to note, the 7.35.10.10 firmware has a bug with array cache display. This will result in the array appearing to not have any cache although it does and it is definitely using it as I've benchmarked my array both before and after the firmware update. The other issue that arises from this bug is that you will not be able to see the cache utilization on the array. Sun is aware of the cache bug and is actively working on a fix for it.

dbell37
Thanks a lot for your answer. Actually, I've already solved this problem - I discussed it on Sun forums and I was told to update firmware, but when performing this procedure I faced with some errors... Anyway, thanks for answer :wink: