Configure e-mail

Hi,

I don't know if this is appropriate for this forum but here goes anyway. I'm setting up a red hat server and want to be able to send and receive e-mail from it, perhaps even regardless of user accounts. Trouble is I know nothing. I'm welcome to pointers, links, books, tips, tricks, full blown explanations, stories, anecdotes, and even the answer. I thank you kindly for any information anybody may have. Thanks.

Phineus

Search this site for mail, sendmail,... there should be quite a bit of reading for you to learn.

Buy the Sendmail book - lots of good tips in it.

See this link on configure Sendmail on linux

Any specific question once you start and I'm sure one of the folks here will be able to help. Just post back.

Okay, great. That's the start I was looking for. Thanks.

> Buy the Sendmail book ...

I didn't know there was one. Who puts it out? (edit. found it :slight_smile: And does that mean there's a pop book too?

You can also get FAQ's on Sendmail's home page.

A Pop book? I've never seen one but a quick search on Barnes and Nobles' web site for "pop mail" found 16 matches. Of course, the first match was "The Beatles: Unseen Archives" which is probably more "pop male" than "pop mail". But some other books on email came up. None that I have seen before.

Okay, thanks again. Time to start reading.

Sendmail has been around for ages - and I am NOT putting it down...

but should you find the configuration file a bit confusing (as I did) you could look at Exim as a good alternative!!! It has been considered a good drop-in replacement for Sendmail!

I've had great luck with qmail.
It's more secure so far as well...

Check out http://cr.yp.to for more information...

Thanks for the info and link. Greatly appreciated and I'll definitely look into them.