Configure disk array in RAID5 and create file system

I'm new to forums, it's my first time posting.

I have a sun v490 server. I just installed solaris 10.6, on the local drives. I'm being asked to do the following:

For Oracle install I need �oracle� user that belong to �dba� and �oinstall� groups. File system /u01/app/oracle, 10GB (if have extra space I�ll take it for patches), and grant full privs to �oracle� user.

Please configure Disk array in RAID5 and create the following file systems:

/data

/log

/archive

/backup

I attached a scsi array and used the smc gui to create a raid 5 set from 5 disks.

I'm freaking out because I need to know how to do this. so any help would be appreciated.
:frowning:

Try:

mount -F ufs /dev/md/dsk/d0 /oracle
1 Like

great, that worked. Will it automatically mount at restart or do I need to edit vfstab? and how do I edit it?

I spoke with the DBA and he said I need to create a 10GB file system. u01/app/oracle how do I do that?

Sorry for the simple questions but I appreciate the quick response.

You need to add it to /etc/vfstab for it to mount at boot time.

Use /bin/vi to edit /etc/vfstab. The line should look like this:

/dev/md/dsk/d0 /dev/md/rdsk/d0 /oracle ufs 2 yes -

HTH

---------- Post updated at 11:15 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:10 AM ----------

I just re-read your post above. :o

change /oracle with /u01 in /etc/vfstab. Then mount the fs. Next create the dirs with

mkdir -p /u01/app/oracle

HTH

1 Like

that makes sense, does this vfstab look right?

# cat /etc/vfstab
#device         device          mount           FS      fsck    mount   mount
#to mount       to fsck         point           type    pass    at boot options
#
fd      -       /dev/fd fd      -       no      -
/proc   -       /proc   proc    -       no      -
/dev/md/dsk/d0 /dev/md/rdsk/d0 /u01 ufs 2 yes
/dev/dsk/c2t0d0s4       -       -       swap    -       no      -
/dev/dsk/c2t0d0s0       /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0s0      /       ufs     1       no                                                                                              -
/dev/dsk/c2t0d0s6       /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0s6      /usr    ufs     1       no                                                                                              -
/dev/dsk/c2t0d0s3       /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0s3      /var    ufs     1       no                                                                                              -
/dev/dsk/c2t0d0s7       /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0s7      /export/home    ufs     2                                                                                               yes     -
/dev/dsk/c2t0d0s5       /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0s5      /opt    ufs     2       yes                                                                                             -
/dev/dsk/c2t0d0s1       /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0s1      /usr/openwin    ufs     2                                                                                               yes     -
/devices        -       /devices        devfs   -       no      -
ctfs    -       /system/contract        ctfs    -       no      -
objfs   -       /system/object  objfs   -       no      -
swap    -       /tmp    tmpfs   -       yes     -
#

thanks again, it means a lot to me. I finally found a job close to home but it's with unix and I know nothing about it.

Dont forget the "-" at the end of the line. OTW, looks fine to me.

1 Like

what a difference a "-" makes. I can't thank you enough.