concerning X server

hey guys i appreciate ur help
i want to start the X server on my aix unix V5.3 server.
i use a hardware management console (HMC)

what i am doing :
-----------------------------------------------------------
# startx
Environment variable DISPLAY was set to ziad-daher.saudioger.com:0
Please wait - starting your session
# xinit

/usr/lpp/X11/defaults/xserverrc[98]: 282858 Illegal instruction(coredump)
1356-800 xinit: Unable to start the X server.
1356-805 xinit: Giving up.
1356-811 xinit: Unable to connect to X server.
1356-803 xinit: Server error.
1356-804 xinit: Client error.
#

# export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
#

------------------------------------------------------------
and when i type
# lsdisp
lsdisp: 0468-006 No default display for LFT was found in the ODM.
lsdisp: 0468-030 No displays found for the LFT

could this be the problem ?? there is no graphic adapter in the server but the HMC has a graphic adapter

Maybe I am mistaken, but i think the main problem is your (missing) understandig of what an X-server does: think of an X-server as a sort-of driver of your graphic card. That means the X-server is never running on the "server", but on your client! You probably have a setup similar to this: an AIX server on a network and some client machines from which you want to connect to the server. You have to run the X-server on these clients, either a native X-server if the client runs some Unix or Linux or an X-server emulation like Hummingbird Exceed or something such.

This X-server only makes the services your graphics hardware offers available - available to clients (X-clients, application programs using the X-protocol), which run usually on the server!

When you start an xterm, xclock, etc., on the server it will discover where your DISPLAY-variable points to. It then will try to connect to the machine mentioned in this variable and establish an X-connection with the X-server running there. If this is successful it will tell the X-server what to do - draw a line, draw a rectangle, write text in a specific font, etc. The X-server is supposed to understand these requests (which are standardized) and translate them into commands the graphic hardware can understand.

The first thing you usually start (and an X-application in its own right) is a so-called "window-manager". mwm, fvwm, but also CDE, Enlightenment or even Gnome and KDE are such window managers (Gnome and KDE are more than that, but that only as an aside). A window manager does things like decorating the workspace of an X-application (the "window") with all sorts of controls - a border to move and resize it, minimize-, maximize- and close-buttons, etc.. Some window managers can provide multiple virtual desktops and many other things, the list of features is endless.

To answer your question directly: the HMC, as it comes preconfigured from IBM, has already a window manager running on top of an X-server (its basically a tailormade Linux system) which manages the local display. You can't even change that as IBM sees the HMC as an "appliance", not a computer. You won't even get a root or root-equivalent account, only the "hmcroot", which is a simple user with some few extra rights.

bakunin