command

how to copy the user accounts, printer setups from one host to another host with out re-creationg, any body can help me on this matter.

Please, we need more information:

The original station is [Linux | SunOS |HPux | AIX] Version : ..........
The new station is [Linux | SunOS |HPux | AIX] Version : ..........

I have done this for copying users from one system to another.

I copied passwd file deleted the non-system users from the copy of the /etc/passwd file, then tar it up. Also, copy the /etc/group file to ensure all groups are supported on the new system.

Then tar /home -cvf <tapedev>. Then copy the tar balls to the new system append the users portion of the passwd file I copied and untarred the users' home dirs in the /home dir or appropriate sub-dir under /home.

I am not sure how to do the rest of your question. If they are simply config files, I would tar them as well and copy.

CAVEAT!!!!!
However, you will need to make sure user groups are also present and make sure that all user permissions and ownership are the same when you tar them up. I don't think I had any problem with this on my system.

Hope this helps.
:smiley:

My brain is your brain...

Don't forget about those systems that use /etc/shadow for storing the encrypted passwords (if they are not kept in /etc/passwd).

Thanks Auswipe. I forgot about /etc/shadow.

We don't use that since we have SecurID on 99% of boxes in my company, so I didn't think to mention it.

Don't forget any crontabs that users have or for any applications that are running that will be porting as well.

Also, don't forget about /etc/profile if you have any special aliases or cleanup scripts that are referenced from there. As well as the scripts themselves. And any alias commands that you have setup.

In addition, if you have any sendmail aliases to handle mail delivery that reside in /etc/mail/aliases.

Thats all for now. Auswipe tweeked my memory banks!!!

Kelam *blushes*

My brain is your brain....

:smiley: