color terminal and tab completion?

hello,
i'm a linux zealot (fedora), so i know a some about unix. the company i work for uses HP-UX though and there are a few quirks i'd like smooth out by making them work more like my beloved redhat type systems...=)

right now they have all users using ksh and completion is done by hitting Esc twice. is there any way to make a single press of the Tab key do completion? or is this a shell thing and my best bet is to get them to install bash?

also, when i work on the HP-UX machines, i usually telnet in from my fedora linux machine (using Konsole). i notice there is no color. i'm a developer and i heavily rely on vim's color syntax highlighting when coding. is there any way to get colors working?

thanks for the help.

As for colour syntax highlighting - this is because HP-UX uses vi , not vim - vi doesn't have syntax highlighting - this is a VI iMproved feature..... As long as you're using an ANSI compliant terminal then colour will "work" - (try my "cecho" script )

And as for tab filename completion, this is a shell issue. The public domain Korn Shell (pdksh) has a vi-tabcomplete option, but the "real" ksh as supplied with HP-UX does not. You can either use ESC twice, or ESC then \ to do completion.

To get vim, pdksh, or any other free software for HP-UX, see this.

thank you for the replies, guys.

ok, i meant to say that i've already compiled and installed vim-6.3 from source. when i open some c source and type :syntax on, no colors show up...it merely underlines some keywords and boldfaces some others...still all black and white.

your cecho script works though. so this leads me to believe that vim needs to be recompiled with some flag saying that it will be run on an ANSI terminal?

also, will compiling/installing bash from source allow me to have "normal" tab completion? =) are there any weird caveats to installing a new shell?

thanks again.

Here's the link you need to follow: Building vim with color on HP-UX - Vim Tips Wiki