Chromium flashes and crashes

I am running openSUSE 11.2 with KDE4.5 on my eMachines e525. I just did a "zypper up" on my system and it reported that Chromium was going to be updated. I agreed and the when the update was finished I shut down Chromium and started it again. It flickered on the screen for a moment and crashed. I tried again but it produced the same thing. I logged off and back in and tried Chromium again... same thing. I restarted and tried... same again!!!

Does anyone know how I can fix this so I can use Chromium again? Thanks.

Try launching it from the command line and seeing if there is any error output

the output is:

>chromium
Attempting to load libmoonloaderxpi
Segmentation fault

You need to re-install moonlight or remove it entirely. Moonlight is the open source version of Microsoft's Silverlight, which is a Flash-like tool.

the problem is I dont know where it is at. it is not in /usr/lib/chromium/plugins. So I am not sure where else it would be.Might you know where else chromium would look for plugins?

you can use zypper to update it once you know the name of the package. Try this:

rpm -qa | egrep -i 'mono|moon'

and try to reinstall the packages associated with that.

Also, I would try this: (I thought better of myself)

updatedb
locate libmoonloaderxpi 

then when you find out where that file is located do this:

rpm -qf <path to libmoonloaderxpi >

then you know what package to remove or update.

all the suggested commands produced no output with the exeption of "rpm -qa | egrep -i 'mono|moon'" but it only produced things relating to mono and nothing with moon in the output. I have been looking for a fix for this for several days and today I finally got a fix. I ran a zypper up and it updated chromium again. So, once zypper up was done I started chromium from the command-line and it works flawlessly.... I hope it stays this way. Thanks for the help with this. :slight_smile: