Channel bonding Issue - Bond0 interface not getting up in on RHEL6

Hello,

I am trying to set up Channel Bonding on a RHEL6 Virtual Box VM. I have 2 ethernet cards on the machine which are set up in Internal Network mode. I followed all the steps exactly as mentioned in the RHEL6 deployment Guide, but for some reason i think results are not correct. Here are my doubts:

1. When i reboot the system the Bond0 interface is up and has the IP assigned and eth1 and eth2 cards are acting as slaves, which is expected but as soon as i restart the network service the Bond0 interface does not come up.

2. Second question which i have is when the Bond0 is up and has IP assigned to it, i ping from my other VM to the IP and it responds. Now when i manually bring down both the physical interfaces eth1 and eth2, even then also i am getting ping replies. I am wondering when both the physical interfaces are down how can Bonded interface respond.

Please correct me wherever i am missing anything. Or if i am doing this wrong way please guide me in doing it correctly. I am attaching the screen shots and config files for my system.

Network Interfaces config files

[root@prod ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts-ifcfg-bond0
DEVICE="bond0"
ONBOOT="yes"
BOOTPROTO="none"
IPADDR="192.168.10.1"
USERCTL="no"
BONDING_OPTS="mode=1 miimon=100"

[root@prod ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts-ifcfg-eth1
DEVICE="eth1"
ONBOOT="yes"
BOOTPROTO="none"
MASTER="bond0"
SLAVE="yes"
USERCTL="no"

[root@prod ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts-ifcfg-eth2
DEVICE="eth2"
ONBOOT="yes"
BOOTPROTO="none"
MASTER="bond0"
SLAVE="yes"
USERCTL="no"

Contents of /etc/modprobe.d/bonding.conf

[root@prod ~]# cat /etc/modprobe.d/bonding.conf
alias bond0 bonding

I have also attached the screen shots of various outputs

i have some more options in my bond0 config...

DEVICE=bond0
IPADDR=192.168.10.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
BOOTPROTO=none
USERCTL=no
TYPE=Ethernet
ONBOOT=yes
IPV6INIT=no
BONDING_OPTS="mode=active-backup miimon=100 downdelay=5000 updelay=5000"

the physical interface files look much like yours...

Hi,

Thanks for the reply but i think would not be the reason for issue ? What do you think, is it working fine in your case ?

yeah, my bond is working without any problems...

Could you please share your configuration for interfaces, modules file etc. I mean what all you did and does it work if you bring your both physical interfaces down.

It would be great if you could share some outputs aslo.

Thanks.

i don't have access to the machines anymore... i installed them at customer datacenter... the output of the bond config is from my documentation with some default ip...

It is perhaps a silly question but have ran modprobe bonding ?

Hi Peasant,

Yes i have ran modprobe bonding. But the issue i am facing that it works fine when system boots up but ASA i restart the network service the whole thing stops, the bond0 interface never comes up.

Are you sure this is correct in your setup

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts-ifcfg-bond0

Should be (atleast on my RHEL 6.2 Santiago)

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-bond0

Yes, this was just a type that i made while posting it here.

Hi Guys,

Finally i was able to resolve the issues i was facing in setting up Channel Bonding. It is working now but i am not very much sure about the results if they are correct.

I used two cars eth7 and eth8 to make a bond0 interface. The IP of the bond0 interface is 192.168.30.1. Now i try to ping this machine from my second test machine which has IP of 192.168.30.3 and it works fine. Now i try bringing the interface eth8 down using "ifdown eth8" and then ping again from test machine and it is successful, and then brought the interface eth8 again up using ifup eth8.

Now if i repeat the same for eth7 the ping stops working i.e. bringing eth7 down and keeping eth8 up and then ping from test machine i do not get ping responses even when one of the two bonded interfaces is up i.e. interface eth8 is up.

The Bonded interface bond0 is setup in round-robin mode(mode=0). I tried using the mode=1 also but got same results.

So can somebody please tell if it is working as it should work or there is some discrepancy in results.

Here are the config files

Network Interfaces config files

[root@prod ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-bond0
DEVICE="bond0"
ONBOOT="yes"
BOOTPROTO="none"
IPADDR="192.168.30.1"
USERCTL="no"
BONDING_OPTS="mode=1 miimon=100"

[root@prod ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth7
DEVICE="eth7"
ONBOOT="yes"
BOOTPROTO="none"
MASTER="bond0"
SLAVE="yes"
USERCTL="no"

[root@prod ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth8
DEVICE="eth8"
ONBOOT="yes"
BOOTPROTO="none"
MASTER="bond0"
SLAVE="yes"
USERCTL="no"

Thanks
Rohit

Hi Guys,

Can anyone help me out on the queries made above.

Hi Rohit,

Were you able to resolve this? I have the same issue as yours.

Can you provide the output from the following:

cat /proc/net/bonding/bond0