Changing root group to group from other

Does any one know if changing root's group from �other� to �root� will cause any problems on a running system.

Thanks

It MIGHT! BE CAUTIOUS AND HOPE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING!

You may have app that need to be run as at least from a certain group. If that priviledge is removed, your apps will stop working as only root and "root" grp can execute or access files and dirs.

Normally when users restore a crashed system(same scenarios I encountered), they will change the group from root to other. Not other way round. As I mentioned, your applications will fail depending on situation

I didn't see any mention of changing any permissions here. It was to change the primary group for the user "root" from "other" to "root". I can't really think of any reason that that would cause a problem, but neither can I really see a reason to make that change. If it's a question of making files created by root more secure by default, you could simply change the UMASK for root.

This whole thing came about because of an audit using cis-security benchmark. It should be ok as long as I make root a member of the �other� group.

I have met the same CIS problem as your, could you help out that?