changing MAC address

hi,
i wanted to know how to change the MAC id of the machine i`m using.. I know the MAC is permanent n on the ROM, but i wanted to know if there was any way to change it during tht particular session..
also.. if it was possible.. could it be kept changed for sometime...?

Which platform?

I think you just answered your own question. If it's permanently recorded on the ROM, you can't change it in any meaningful fashion.

It might not be so permanent, though. You can get utilities to change the MAC for certain cards.

In Solaris the mac address can be changed with the ifconfig command, and may well be on some other OSes. Shereenmotor's question needs to be answered before dismissing a simple solution.

Would you expect this work on x86 solaris, and/or with non-Sun network cards? I still think my answer fits for all but the weirdest of hardware and software, since the MAC is handled practially at the hardware level.

hi,
sorry guys.. was a bit late in replying.. i ma working on redhat enterprise... release 4 .. kernel 2.6.9-5.EL ...
i guess u can realise tht i`m a n00b in linux.. hehe....

thanx!

also.. i changed the mac using ifocnfig.. (thnx corona..).. now i have to do it using sockets.. anyone knows any good links to learn socket programming.. really faaast.. like in less thana day or so...

thanx again...

Good you were able to change MAC address thru ifconfig in RHL.

I personally don't believe in miracles, but to get a start give a try to http://www.google.com

You'll find many useful links there for socket programming.

Best of luck.

hehe..
anyway.. i`ve got quite few links.. in the form of "Beej`s Guide" which was in fact quite good.. and also real simple for any n00b to understand.. i was wondering if there was any other source like tht..
thanx..

any good books on the same?