changing controller name

Dear Solarizer,

If i have a disk let say like this c1t0d0s0

How to change the controller to be come example : c3t0d0s0

Thanxs For your replay

Regads,

tpx

hmm, why you want to do something like this? maybe it can be done in /etc/path_to_inst but i haven't done something like this yet...

The controller numbers are being assigned during first installation

The system probes it's devices and assigns controller IDs -- and names -- in order while discovering it.
Once discovered, it's hard to re-assign.

The important point is that the system sets the name, and you cannot change it yourself to something that you want.

If you configure the hardware (slots) the same, it is likely to pick the same id's but not guaranteed.
it can be solved by reinstalling the OS but still you wont find any advice to find a way to reconfigure the controller only (without reinstalling the whole OS).

just out of curiosity, i'm wondering if this will work (i'm not doing it bc i i'm sure its a hairy situation). /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0 is a link to the physical device.

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          43 Oct 29  2006 c1t0d0s0 -> ../../devices/pci@1c,600000/scsi@2/sd@0,0:a

what if you delete the link c0t0d0s0 and make up another one like c3t0d0s0 and link it to the correct physical device.

----

thinking about this... i can see where it would go wrong a million times. hahaha