Changing back the OBP from the RSC

Hi everyone new to Solaris 10 and Linix and am having problems changing back the OBP from RSC ( Remote System Control).

I bought a SunFire 280R Server a month or two ago, installed Solaris 10 on to it. Have been trying to setup correct settings and came across a guide on Oracle website which reads:
To display current and default values of specific OpenBoot configuration variable, specify the "printenv" commandand the varible name at the ok prompt. ie: ok printenv diag-switch?
diag-switch? = false (This being the default value).
I some how changed this value to True...
And changed the setenv diag-level from (min) to Max.
In doing this I have lost the ok prompt on startup and want to get it back from the remote system control. Can't find a command prompt to run new commands to get the ok prompt back.
Can anyone out there please help me with this problem?....

Cheers

Arjay

Once your diag � switch is true and diag � level is set as max , which mean your system is running the intensive POST. its not that you have lost the OK prompt, it may take few more minutes to come at OK prompt. In case if you are unable to get the OK prompt then you have multiple option.

• You can go to SC and execute break, which will drop you to OK prompt or else you can given init 0 from OS to go to OK. To go to RSC from OS press #. and then eneter berak. once you get something like below on your RSC

[quote]
    Are you sure you want to send a break to the system [y/n]? yes
    [/quote]

after y again you will be back to RSC, to go to OK on Sc propmt type console -f
  • The second option is opening the box and disconnects the hard disk data cable. Automatically system will go to OK prompt, once you are at OK prompt then you can change auto-boot? False. This will always bring your system on OK prompt in case of reboot

• The other option you have is STOP+A

Hi Kumarmani,
Thanks for your prompt reply to my thread, just to let you know that I have tryed the stop+A option, and the ok prompt doesn't return at all.
Have had the machine running for 2 hours or more and no sign of the ok prompt returning.
Have also removed hard drives to prevent the system booting and hoping this would automatically go to ok prompt with no result.
You say that I could go to RSC and execute break or go to OS, NOT SURE HOW TO DO THIS SORRY...
How do I go to RSC from OS????.
Yeah I know I'm a Dummie lol!!!!!.....:frowning:

Cheers
Arjay

Are you able to get into to OS � operating system (Solaris), if so what the OS version? After two hour what is happening are you able to get something? Do you get anything on display?

How do I go to RSC from OS????.

To go to RSC from OS you have to press #. ( # + . in a second time ). In case if it do not work then the other option you have resetting the RSC from OS.. For that your need to get into directory /usr/platform/`uname �i/sbin and execute the scadm / rscadm as below

# ./rscadm resetrsc

It will reset the RSC after that you should able to get into the RSC with #.

1 Like

I'm not too familiar anymore with the 280, but if it's an RSC isn't its default ~. and not #.? You should be able to check with /usr/platform/`uname -i`/rsc/rscadm show. It lists escape_char.

Thanks again Kumarmani,
Can get into OS, and OS is Solaris 10.....
After about an hour Solaris comes up on screen, asks for password to enter.
But prior to that approx 5 min or so I get a white screen where ok prompt usually comes up.
I will try getting into directory today to see if that suggestion works, will let you know how that goes.
Thanks again :o.

Arjay

Hi Robinthehood,

If you can login as root, issue the eeprom command and reset the diag switch setting:

eeprom diag-switch?=false

as well as the diag level:

eeprom diag-level=min

Hope that helps,

Cheers

RandomSun

Hi again Kumarmani,
Tryed to get into directory and got as far as platform, there is no uname -i/sbin so could not execute the scadm/rscadm as you instructed me to do.
It seems as though I am locked out of the system.
I just want to be able to get back into the systen so that I can do a reformat and start from scratch, new OS and all.
Any other suggestions????.

Cheers
Arjay :frowning:

You wont be getting any folder by name uname �i/sbin . uname �i is going to print the name of platform inside that directory you will get sbin and in that rscadm / scadm. Once you are inside the /usr/platform then execute the command uname �i, you will be getting the name of platform, get in that folder or the other option you have is cd `uname �i`. Try this once and see fi u can get it to scadm or not. The other option you have is finding the scadm / rscadm with find command.. Something like find /usr/ -name [scadm,rscadm] �print.

Can�t understand what you mean by locked out of system?

The other option as given by Robinthehood, where in you can change the value of diag-switch, diag-level and auto-boot to false, min and false respectively with eeprom.

Hi again Kumarmani,
thanks again for your suggestions, have tryed all that you told me without success. Tryed resetting via setenv and eepromm as well.
Here is printout of eeprom, prehaps you could check it and see if you can see anything that maybe stopping me from resetting back to ok prompt.
It reads as follows;

output-device=rsc-console
input-device=rsc-console
load-base=16384
auto-boot?=true
boot-command=boot
diag-file:data not available
diag-device=disk net
boot-file:data not available
boot-device=/pci@8,600000/SUNW,qlc@4/fp@0,0/disk@w21000004cf96a55b,0:a/pci@8,600000/SUNW,qlc@4/fp@0,0/disk@w500000e0104a40a1/SUNW,gfe@3,1 devalias qfeo/pci@8,700000/pci@1/SUNW,qfe@o,1
security-mode=none
security-password:data not available
security-#badlogin=0
diag-out-console=true
#power-cycles=166
diag-script=none
diag-level=max
diag-switch=true
error-reset-recovery=boot

Tryed typing in setenv input-device keyboard and setenv output-device screen.
Typed in reset all and clicked on return and nothing happened.
Did this in eeproom terminal, is this correct?..

Cheers
Arjay
:mad:

What I have understood so far is , when your system is booting it shouldn�t go to Solaris and should stay ay OK prompt, for that you don�t have to set the value of input and output device. You just need to set the value of diag-level, diag-switch and auto-boot . [/FONT]

In case you are doing the same from Solaris (if you are inside the operating, execute the below at # propmt )

if you are on OK prompt then do below

Hi again Kumarmani,
managed to change diag switch, diag level, and auto boot settings from eepromd me to change, but now the server won't boot up. Is this because you told me to change the boot settings from true to false?, if so how do I get back to booting the server up?.

Cheers
Arjay

Hi,

when you change the auto-boot? parameter, the boot "stay" at the OK prompt. So, you need to connect to the console and type boot.

Hi Chris,
since changing diag-level to min,diag-switch to false,and auto boot to false through eeprom, I can no longer get back into the server.
Here is what I did, after changing settings I restarted server and didn't see ok prompt - but instead went to asking me for password to log into solaris 10. I didn't log in and restarted server to try to get back to ok prompt at startup, but now server won't boot up.
Can't get into Solaris and have no keyboard,screen or mouse, and have had the server running up to two hours with nothing happening.
So your suggestion won't help at the moment, any other advise?...

Cheers
Arjay
:frowning:

Hi,

I don't think that you can't connect to the server when you change this 3 parameters.
Do you change the input-device to keyboard et output-device to screen ? if you do that, probably the server is at the OK prompt and you can't see anything because the 2 parameters are not setting to rsc-console.
Can you tell me if the first time, you install with a keyboard, screen like you suggest on you response?
I'm not sure for this solution because it's a long time ago that i connect to this type of server :
if you have portable PC with you can connect with putty(windows) or minicom(linux) on the serial port DB25 ( port B but i'm really not sure)

Hi Chris,
No I didn't change the input-device to keyboard or change out-put to screen, wasn't told to do this. I was infact told that I didn't need to do that since I was changing the settings from the eeprom terminal.
So now I'm not sure what I can do to resolve this problem.

Cheers
Arjay

Hi,

Sorry :frowning: good luck for your problem.
Do you try at least to connect on the serial port ?

Regards,

Hey Kumarmani,
Since changing settings as you told me can't boot up and have no screen,mouse or keyboard, is this because I changed auto-boot to false as you said???....
Tryed getting in via serial port without success, can't connect via my personal computer..
What do I do now????....:mad:

Cheers
Arjay

Since Kumarmani has failed to respond after giving me advice that has shut me out of my SunFire 280R, is there anyone else out there that can help me get back to booting up the server.
As I followed Kumarrmani's instructions to change from Rsc to the OK Prompt via the eeprom terminal that has now shut me out.
As discussed earllier in this thread, I now have no screen, mouse, keyboard, or boot up, as oppossed prior to the changes made as advised.

Again as advised these were the changes made via eeprom terminal:

#eeprom diag-switch?=false (This was set to false)
#eeprom diag-level=min (This was set to max)
#eeprom auto-boot?=false (This was set to True)

My question is:
Is the reason for the server not booting now due to the auto-boot being set to TRUE????.
And how do I now get back into the server when I have no mouse,keyboard, or screen to use due to the last instructions given???.

I need to get back to OK Prompt to make any changes required, how can this be done????.

I have tryed going through the serial ports, but can't see anything there, what do I need to do to get my server showing from serial ports to my Windows based computer??.

Cheers
Arjay
:mad:

Hi Arjay,

There is no change that by just changing the above three parameter, it should not get your system at OK prompt. 1st you have to understand taht after changing the above parameter your system will not go to operating system automatically as you have set auto-boot? False, means system is going to wait at OK prompt to get further instruction.

2nd point, if you see your post above you have changed the value of output device and input device, now the option you have is to connect the system through the serial cable and access the system through the HyperTerminal to connect and change the value.