Change hostname, NIS stops

All,

I have changed my machine name from A202 to B205. All I modified was /etc/hosts, /etc/nodename, hostname.ce0, /etc/net/<stuff needed to change>. But for some reason now NIS does not work. This is not the NIS server. When I telnet in I get "No directory! Logging in with home=/" when I should get /users as my home directory. Also, this does not happen to just me, but all others as well.

Anyone see this before? What did I miss?

Thanks.

It is quite possible that by changing the hostname in the way you describe you have broken NIS on this client.

You will need to:

1. Update (as a minimum) the hosts and probably netgroup on the NIS master to take into account these changes.
  2. Rebuild the NIS maps.
  3. Make sure that the client can at least ping the master (by hostname) if not add it to /etc/inet/hosts
  4. Run ypinit -c and enter the master information on the client.

Actually, it sounds like you messed up NFS, not NIS. The home directory can't be mounted but you still got into the server. Check your NFS issue.

Thanks for all the responses. I checked all the recommended stuff (even checked other servers) and it ended up being a NAS permission issue. It was not granting permission to the new server.

It was driving me crazy searching for that!

Again, thanks.

I agree that it sounds like NFS but this is often caused by netgroup based access to the NFS server in the NIS maps.