change dns (domain name)

hi gurus,

need to check other than the hosts file, what else i need to change after we have changed the domain name in our company. currently, we are using olddnsname.com and will change it to newdnsname.com. i am not sure where else in solaris i need to take a look.

please advise.

thank you in advance.

regards,
kim

Solaris provides extensive control over the means of looking up various name services including DNS. If DNS resolution of hostnames has not been setup, the nsswitch.conf file must be configured in addition to resolv.conf.

Once you have configured the DNS client settings in Solaris, you need to alter the /etc/nsswitch.conf file. This name services configuration file controls a variety of lookup types with several services including NIS/NIS+ and LDAP.

To configure your host to perform hostname lookups with DNS, modify the line that starts with hosts: to include the keyword dns. For example, if your /etc/nsswitch.conf file hosts line looks like:

hosts: files

change it to read:

hosts: files dns

The order of keywords on this line indicates the order in which Solaris references the name services. The keyword files represents the /etc/hosts file.

hi gnom,

thanks for prompt reply. if i do testing, can resolv.conf looks like this: ?

search olddnsname.com
nameserver 172.x.x.x

search newdnsname.com
nameserver 172.x.x.x

rgds

The file looks like this:

domain yourdomain.xx
nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (your dns-server)
nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (2nd dns-server)

thanks a lot gnom!