Change access permissions

I purchased a 2TB hard drive, split it into two partitions, and formatted it as NTFS. I want to use the drive on my pc and my mac. How can I change the access permissions so Mac OS 10.4.11 will let me write to the drive?

I tried this:
$ chmod +a "admin allow write" /volumes/V2_Mac
chmod: Failed to set ACL on file /volumes/V2_Mac: Read-only file system

This is how the two partitions appear with ls -la:
drwxr-xr-x 1 admin staff 0 Apr 22 2009 V2_Mac
drwxr-xr-x 1 admin staff 0 Apr 22 2009 V2_NTFS

I don't want to use a FAT32 partition because it limits the size of the files I can move between computers.

:confused:

netinfo (niutl run as the root user) has "/mounts" directory which contains directories that refer to filesystems. This will give you the exact interpretation of how the system mounted the devices.

If you want to mount and read/write to NTFS you need to use third party file system add ons. Otherwise you will only be able to read only. MacFUSE is one out there that gets good reviews.

macfuse - Project Hosting on Google Code

However, if you network them file transfers will over SMB (samba) and it doesn't matter what file system is on the drive.

Thanks for your replies jim and tlarkin!

I enabled the root user in Mac OS and logged in as root. I tried netinfo and niutl in a Terminal window, and both came back with command not found. I found the Netinfo Manager program in the Utilities folder but, the /mounts directory is empty.

I installed macfuse but, I have not discovered how to use it yet!

I am still working on it.