Change a file's timestamp

Hi,

I want to modify a file and then change the file's timestamp back to what it was before the modification. It should look as if the file has'nt been modifed. The entire operation needs to be done inside a ksh script. Can anyone suggest how I can trap a file's stamp in a variable within a shell.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Try touch command

if files present time stamp is may 10 10:24

Modify ur file, then give the following command

touch -t 200805101024 filename

Decomposition of 200805101024
2008 year , 05 - month number , date, time

Thanks
Penchal

1 Like

Thanks for the response. I used touch -t several times. What I wanted to know is, how to trap the timestamp of the file within a shell in a format which can be fed to "touch" command. I want to get the file's timestamp in YYYYMMDDHHMI format.

Thanks in advance.

ls -ltr filename
_rw_rw_rw_ 1 penchal grp  1024 May 13 18:08 filename

Ur timestamp becomes : 200805131808

Sounds like someone is trying to do something fishy "file should appear as if it has not been modified" :slight_smile: . Anyways, I have a question about the modification time for a symbolic link.

foo.c -> apps/gendev/src/foo.c

the timestamp on apps/gendev/src/foo.c is say 'May 27 11:37'

the timestamp on foo.c (which points to the source file) is 'May 27 10:42' which is when the link was created. Everytime I edit foo.c from my directory the timestamp on apps/gendev/src/foo.c is updated which I understand because I am really modifying that file. I want to know if there is a way to modify the timestamp on the link without relinking the file?

Thanks

rcarnesiii.

Please don't hijack another ones thread but open a new thread for your question.

Thanks.

FYI: The time is only shown if the timestamp is less than 6 months old. If it's more than 6 months, the ls command shows the year instead of time.