Centralized RBAC using Active Directory or (AD LDS)

Hi everybody,

I am working on the RBAC implementation on AIX 6.1 servers. There are quite a few servers and I would like the RBAC objects to be stored centrally in a LDAP database. It would be easier from the administration point of view. Has anyone ever been able to use Active Directory or Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services for this purpose ? The AIX user accounts are managed using AD and it would be much easier to have the RBAC roles in the same place.

Thank you,

Romi

We are not using AD as LDAP server but I remember connecting to AD being described in this Redbook too:
IBM Redbooks | Integrating AIX into Heterogeneous LDAP Environments
The way how to configure your LDAP clients this way didn't change much from AIX 5 to AIX 7. Just some of the filesets you need have changed. In AIX 7 you need some of the Tivoli LDAP client packages instead but they are on the basic OS media.

If your basic LDAP connection with the secldapclntd (Secure LDAP Client Demon) is working, outsourcing RBAC security tables onto your LDAP server should be somewhat the similar when doing this to an AD or any other LDAP server.
This is described here: