CD Rom shared for many AIX servers.

Guy's
I have more than 20 servers available in different locations and I want to configure CD Rom as NFS between these servers to be sharedCan any one explain the configuration how can NFS or share CD rom between more than 20 servers available in different locationsto be used in one time from all these servers..
Pls advice ..

Wouldn't a NIM server configuration be a more accurate long term solution ?

no, I don't like to user NIM ,

I'd like for example to use my CDROM from my PC to be shared to AIX servers .. is it possible ?

I would rip the cdrom to an ISO and ftp that to one of your AIX servers. NFS share it's directory as read-only. And mount the iso on your 20 servers. That should work as long as it's read-only.

You'll need to google mounting as iso as a filesystem in AIX...in Solaris it's using lofiadm and mounting it that way, but I've not done that in AIX.

Either way, IMO, the cdrom is too slow to try to share to multiple servers...they'll all just be waiting for I/O to be serviced from it...

I had the same problem. The C compiler from IBM would only install from real media, so for the remote sites I had to share the drive. Much gnashing of teeth eventually lead me todo the following:-

Start the mountd deamon on both client & server

• startsrc -s mountd

Start the nfsd deamon on both client & server

• startsrc -s nfsd

Mount the cd on the server with:-

• mount -v cdrfs -o ro /dev/cd0 /mnt

Share the cd from the server with:-

• exportfs -i -o ro /mnt

Mount the cd from the remote client with:-

• mount -o ro server:/mnt /mnt

I hope that this helps.

You will, of course, have to ensure that firewall rules permit the access and remember the performance of the CD will be relatively poor, however if there is a specific need or performance is not an issue, have a bash.

Robin

How did you get on? Are you still stuck?

Robin