Capture Network Packets from AIX

Hi,

I am using smitty to create and configure a print queue. I am giving a print of a text file to the print queue created. I am using this in network.
How to capture network packets of the print from AIX to the printer and printer to AIX.

I tried Wireshark to capture network packets.
I am able to get only 'ack' packets that has been sent from printer to AIX.
I want to capture network packets from both the sides.

I tried this using a 10Mbps hub with Windows PC with Wireshark installed, AIX and Printer.
but if i connect only these 3 using 10Mbps hub i am not able to ping from AIX to windows or printer.

Please help.

I suggest you use tcpdump from the AIX system to monitor network traffic to/fro the printer.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I used the below command to capture network packets.

/usr/sbin/iptrace -a -i en0 iptrace.out &
ipreport -r -s iptrace.out >/ipreport.network

and i could see the network packets captured to and fro the AIX and printer.

Actually I want to print from AIX to printer and capture the packets that has been sent from AIX and ack received from printer.
Both I am able to receive thru' the iptrace command.

Actually i want to capture it in wireshark(both to and fro packets).
Wireshark is capturing more TCP datas than iptrace. but only issue is I am getting only ack packets from printer.

Please help how to get both to and fro packets transformation from AIX.
or the iptrace command to list complete details of the TCP packets.

Thanks,

Use tcpdump on AIX server to capture traffic into file. Export this file to windoze or linux PC and import it into Wireshark for analysis then.
http://www.wireshark.org/docs/man-pages/wireshark.html

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.

If i execute that command following error message is displayed.

tcpdump: BIOCSETIF: en0: Do not specify an existing file.

Please help me out in solving the error.

After capturing the data from the below command, i am using ipreport command to redirect it.I am not able to open this in Wireshark as explained in The Wireshark Network Analyzer 1.1.2.

Too little information... If you want answers you need to supply information first as my crystal ball is undergoing maintenance these days... How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Which command did you mean? What user do you use tcpdump with? Do you use tcpdump from AIX or tcpdump from the Linux Toolbox?

What exactly do you do? Which way do you transfer the report file to what type of machine?

Pffft - "man mindread" for the meantime. ;-))

There is a Ethereal version (i believe it is 0.99.7) which compiles on AIX 5.3. YOu might consider downloading this and using it instead of tcpdump.

Here is a link: freshmeat.net: Project details for Wireshark

I hope this helps.

bakunin

I am sorry for incomplete information.

Here are the details.
OS-AIX 6.1
User:root
tcpdump on AIX

1. tcpdump Command:
    tcpdump -I -i en? host YOUR_PRINTER_DNS_NAME_OR_IP

2. Result:
    tcpdump: BIOCSETIF: en0: Do not specify an existing file.

3. iptrace command:

4. Give print to printer:
    lp -d queue_name file_name

5. view the process:
    ps -ef | grep iptrace

6. Kill the process:
    kill -1 process_id

7. Report:

8. view ipreport.network:
    more ipreport.network

I could see network packets (TCP) captured in ipreport.network.

Reference:
Optimizing AIX 5L performance: Tuning network performance, Part 3

As explained in The Wireshark Network Analyzer 1.1.2, Wireshark can read / import the following file formats:
AIX's iptrace captures

I have configure Wireshark in Windows. I copied ipreport.network to windows pc and then tried to open it using wireshark. I got the error message "The file format is not supported".

Will ethereal compile in AIX 6.1 also..

Please let me know if more information is required.

Hi,

Thank you all for your support.

I am able to capture all network packets using the below commands.

1. startsrc -s iptrace -a "-i en1 /home/testing/iptrace/iptracelog"
  2. print
  3. stopsrc -s iptrace

Ref:Optimizing AIX 5L performance: Tuning network performance, Part 3

Thank you all...

Hi,

Thank you all for your support.

I am able to capture all network packets using the below commands.

1. startsrc -s iptrace -a "-i en1 /home/testing/iptrace/iptracelog"
  2. print
  3. stopsrc -s iptrace

Ref:Optimizing AIX 5L performance: Tuning network performance, Part 3

I am able to view the captured file using Wireshark also.

Thank you all...

Thank you

Does the traffic flow over the first interface? What happens if you just do
# tcpdump host <printer_ip>
If it works add -vvv option to get more packet information.

Using iptrace with AIX became somewhat old fashioned since tcpdump entered AIX (at version 4.2 or so) hence I still recommend using tcpdump instead. I consider it possible that AIX iptrace output is somewhat "different" than what current versions of Wireshark expect. If you insist on using iptrace make sure that the file is not damaged during transfer.

Opposed to the link information bakunin supplied Wireshark compiles fine long since at least 0.9.9.5. on AIX 5.3 but you need to know your AIX to prepare the environment correctly. Hint: if you want to compile Wireshark yourself GNU compilers (current versions) seem to me more suitable for this job than the IBM compilers. However, to catch simple TCP packets even Ethereal (Wireshark's predecessor) might suffice. Ethereal 0.8.x.x has been available from the IBM AIX Linux Toolbox for years now.

The command tcpdump which you have mentioned gives error.

bash-3.2# tcpdump host 10.116.26.156
tcpdump: no suitable device found

I will try to download and use Ethereal.

Don't use bash when debuging AIX problems. AIX default shell is ksh. Using this oh so compatible "bash" or other non default shell will work just like AIX ksh in 99.9% of the time and the missing 0.1% compatibility might cause you many headaches.

If tcpdump complains about "no suitable device found" Ethereal/Wireshark won't work either.

Make sure that filest bos.net.tcp.adt is installed on your server. Then check whether the Berkeley Paket Filters are there: /dev/bpfx (with x being a number ranging from 0 to 3, i.e. four devices). These filters are not available per default. You need to run tcpdump from AIX (NOT from the Toolbox or any other source) once to get these filters created. Afterwards any tcpdump version should work.

Hi,

I am trying to install filesets.

another query:

When i try to change the Ethernet adapter setting in AIX, I am getting error message.

Command:
chdev -l 'ent0' -a media_speed='10_Full_Duplex'

Error:
Method error (/usr/lib/methods/chgent):
0514-062 Cannot perform the requested function because the specified device is busy.

How to stop the process so that i can change the speed?

As long as you use the adapter in question you cannot. I.e. you are loged in via en0 and your session would terminate during the change. Use the chdev -P parameter to change the value in the adapter's ODM only and the change will take place on next reboot. If you can access the server through another interface you can take the en0 down and change it without reboot. Same applies if you can access the server through a serial console.
You could even do this online by placing all commands into a command line (script) but if it fails you are locked out. That is why the first two ways to accomplish your aim are preferable if you want to do it online.

Hi,

Thanks for the solution.