Can't use 'break' command, Can't access 'ok' prompt.

Hi

I have A Sun Ultra Enterprise 450 server, it has Solaris installed on it.

I have A serial terminal hooked up to it (nullmodem cable plugged into serial port 1 on the box, and the other end plugged into the serial port of A laptop (NEC Versa M300))
The laptop is running Ubuntu 12.04.2 (Somehow... Incredibly, for such an old machine it still runs 12.04.2 perfectly and smoothly)... It has minicom installed and setup to 9600 8N1, and seems to communicate with the box fine (At login I can type A login and password, which gets denied, so the terminal appears to work fine).

Now, here's my problem... I recently picked the box up from A 2nd hand store for $50 (A nice buy in my opinion, the machine has almost every part available for it's model installed, and not A single scratch, mark or broken/missing part) but I don't have the login details. I have all the install disks needed, I'm all set up and ready to give it A clean start... But to all my efforts and hours of searching online I can't get the box to the "ok prompt", or any prompt or command for that matter, the only interaction I can make with the box is typing a username and password and having the box deny it.

During boot, I've tried countless attempts to use the 'break' command... Break key, Ctrl + key... Many, many times at different stages of the boot, and just about every other suggestion I can find... Not A shred of success.

Has anyone got any ideas how I can get to the 'ok' prompt?

If you had a Sun keyboard the keystroke is STOP-A.

If you have a PC keyboard (ie, terminal emulator) the keystroke is CTRL-BREAK.

If this doesn't work then I'd say that there's something wrong with your terminal emulator with regards to this keystroke so try a different terminal emulator (eg, Hyperterminal).

As you are trying to do, if you can get to a 'ok' prompt you can boot from cd into single user, mount the hard disk root filesystem and get in and remove the root password.

Of course, you MUST be connected to the console serial port to get access to the 'ok' prompt.

@hicks
your answer will only work if he has a local keyboard attached to the machine.

@SomeoneTwo
try this in minicom 'ctrl-A' and then 'F' to send a break. also you can try to use ctrl [ , after this a prompt should appear and you type send break at this prompt.

2 Likes

You sir have my undying gratitude.

Ctrl-A then F worked perfectly, I can't believe I didn't find this sooner.
Thanks again!