Can't start telnetd

Hello all,
I've got a problem on a V240 running Solaris 9, the telnet daemon won't start. The error message I get is "telnetd: stdin is not a socket file descriptor." I've never seen this message before and I'm not exactly sure what it means. I know generally what stdin, sockets, and file descriptors are but I don't know why the telnet daemon is trying to use stdin. Anyone seen anything like this before?

The /etc/inetd.conf entry:
telnet stream tcp6 nowait root /usr/sbin/in.telnetd in.telnetd

/etc/services:
telnet 23/tcp

inetd is supposed to start telnetd with stdin set to the socket of the connection. telnetd checks for stdin being a socket very early in execution. So I would actually suspect inetd being at fault and I would kill inetd and restart it to see if this fixes the problem.

inetd has been restarted several times already, as well as rebooting the box. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Considering the nasty telnetd bug that has been uncovered, you may not want to fix this. But if you do, I would try changing tcp6 to tcp in the inetd.conf file.

Should have mentioned this already but I tried tcp vs. tcp6 as well. Thanks for the suggestion though.

What is this telnetd bug?? This machine is in a lab not accessible from the outside so I'm not too worried about intrusion.