Can't POP the mails off the server, the mailbox is corrupt!

SCO OpenServer(TM) Release 5 (worf.xxx.com)
Worf is my proxy Server, and it runs my Lan with windows PCs, wk2s & XPs. There are only two users who POP the mailbox from the Server to client, elena and me nancy! elena can POP her email mailbox is just fine.
We use Eudora and for years we never had a problem like this, but on March 12th , and got errors on my nancy mailbox and I suddenly can't POP the mails off the server's mailbox. Eudora gave error info,

There has been an error transferring your mail.

and then the POP server [nancy@worf.yyy.com] said: ERR Mail drop does not start with a From envelope line.
So I did this so I can open the mailboxes:

# cd $M  
 # l  
 -rw------- 1 nancy group 0 Mar 24 13:06 .nancy.pop
 drwxrwxrwt 2 mmdf mmdf 512 Aug 6 2001 :saved  
 -rw------- 1 elena group 0 Mar 29 21:55 elena <-- POP is Fine
 -rw------- 1 nancy group 16258932 Mar 29 21:36 nancy <-- POP not working.  

So I checked the mailboxes.

# mutt -f elena

and I get into her mailbox mutt came up and it's fine.

# mutt -f nancy

and it says nancy is not a mailbox. So my mailbox is corrupt, it had to be a bad email in my mailbox, so Mutt can't get into my mailbox, so I tried to get in with vi [ # cd vi /usr/nancy/ ] it said �nancy� does not exist.
I really want to get into my mailbox file but I haven�t been able to find a way! Meanwhile, my corrupt mailbox is receiving more and more emails in my �mailbox�! If I get in this file I can delete bad email maybe that would fix it.
Or what would happen if I deleted the whole file? And how can I delete a mailbox when �nancy� is not a mailbox?
Since it has been two months March & April so far I need to get those emails POPed off the the server and to my inbox on Eudora, so I don't loose them.
How can you get into a file when it doesn't have a valid file name?

-rw------- 1 nancy group 21852648 Apr 4 01:00 nancy < this is still growing! >

the path for mutt mailboxes

/usr/spool/mail/nancy
 /usr/spool/mail/elena

Btw, I use Korn shell ksh (Enter)
I can get by with Unix but I am not a expert!
Please reply to xxx
and not yyy
I really need to get my mailbox nancy fixed, so I can reply to all my members etc., people may think I am ignore then...
Thank you in Advance, and please forgive me for my first attempt to code & tags
--Nancy

We don't use personal emails to respond to issues raised in the UNIX and Linux Forums; we respond by posting a response to your thread.

Please use Code Tags when you post any code or data samples so others can easily read your code. To see how to use CODE and ICODE tags, please look at the following tutorial:

Normal places to find mailboxes on UNIX and Linux systems would be /usr/spool/mail/username or /var/spool/mail/username , not in /usr/username .

1 Like