Can't ping - IP translation issue?

Hello,
Any help or advice on this would be greatly appreciated. I have a site-to-site VPN, across which data is synced between two CRM systems.

The opposing side of this tunnel is a flat network (lets call it 201.200.156.xx/24)
My internal network is a 192.168.0.xx/24 network, however before reaching the tunnel my firewall translates it to 172.16.1.xx/24 - this is because the VPN firewall on the other end of the tunnel already had an existing connection to a 192.168.0.xx network. My firewall translates outbound messages from my AIX server to the corresponding 172.16.1.xx, and also translates inbound messages to 172.16.1.xx back to the AIX server address on the 192.168 network.

On my side of this VPN tunnel, I have a mix of AIX servers and Windows servers. When the AIX server is the target of this translation, we can only get messages across the tunnel from time to time. Sometimes we can get a few pings across, but then they will stop and just fail. However, when I have this translation set to go to a Windows box, everything works great and we can communicate and have no lost pings.

Any ideas? I'm not an AIX expert, so I don't know if I should be doing something different on the firewall to account for it. Also, I should mention that this AIX server is controlled by the CRM company, and they do not give us direct access to it.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Have you tried a traceroute to the other side to see what it gives you?

You dont say much about your AIX boxes...
Do have have multiple NICs?