Can't log in

Hi folks,

I am new here, sorry for an eventual double-post. I am facing a problem of inability to log in (neither as root nor as any other user) and hope for your assistance :slight_smile:

I am running an embedded-linux Angstrom distro, which is Debian based and utilizes a (patched) mainline 3.2.18 kernel.

The symptoms are strange and most probably indicate a PAM issue. I can log in after the very first system start(as root only, since no other user exist). Can do passwd, can add users, etc.

However, after rebooting there is no way to log in for me.
I can establish a serial connection, as well as a local console (no ssh yet, since no network is yet set up), the result is always the same.

Initially i was facing a "cannot make/remove an entry for the specified session" message, after manipulating /etc/login.defs and /etc/securetty, i was able to get rid of this message, however still unable to get into the system on the console (the screen "resets").

There are no corresponding logs generated in /var/log, making debugging difficult, i did some research and the symptoms look like a problem with the PAM authentication manager.

For my understanding /etc/securetty defines what consoles are allowed for the root to log in, but i do not see anything suspicious.

Hope for your suggestions and
great thanks in advance, with regards Nick

p.s. can post the contents of the pam.d files if desired

When you say you are able to log in the first time, does that mean after the power cycle?
It seems that the system does not complete all startup procedures for whatever reason.
When you have shell prompt, can you check if all the filesystems are availabe, can you
check

ls -l /dev/*tty* 

Well, thanks for your attention guys, consider this as closed.

Managed to create a systemd-image which seems to work, right now i just do not have time to dig deeper into it anyway.

[hipe] i also thought of an incomplete system-config during the first boot to be the cause, did notice anything suspicious though.

Anyway, great thanks folks!
regards Nick