Can't get ok prompt on V440

Hello all,

This is probably a commonly asked question, but it has me stumped.

I have a V440 which upon bootup gives me the option of getting into ALOM with #. I don't have the ALOM password so I want to re-install Solaris 10.

When connected to the Management serial interface (on the PCI card) with either Hyperterminal or Terraterm, I cannot get to the ok prompt. I send a break and am given the following on the console:

SC Alert: SC request to send break to host

At this point I would expect the ok prompt. However, I am not given this, and am not able to type anything - just given a blinking cursor. The only thing I can do is send another break, upon which I am given the same message above, or type #. to get back to ALOM.

Is there anything else I can try to get the ok prompt? It seems the boot device is the hard disk as well, not the cdrom, so I can't install that way either.

Thanks in advance.

The ALOM passwd you can change from the OS, using scadm.
If you are given an option to type #. to go back to ALOM, technically you should already be logged in to ALOM. But you say you can't type anything, right?
Now, you say you are connecting to the PCi card (RSC). Have you tried connecting to the built-in serial port?

I can get to the ALOM and type a username/password in that, which obviously doesn't help me as I don't have these details. After a minute of so or not typing in the ALOM, I get a timeout and am sent back to the serial console where as I mentioned I cannot type anything.

I haven't tried the built-in (DB9 connector) serial port yet - hopefully I can find the right console cable for this.

You may want to stay connected to the ALOM and try to power cycle the box to see if you get output to the console...That is if power cycling is an option.