Can't get ldap cachemgr to start.

Hi,
I had a Solaris 10 system running ldap perfectly with no problems. However, there was a power failure over the weekend, and now, ldap does not work.

1. svcadm enable svc:/network/ldap/client:default executes, but the service does not get enabled.
    # svcs -a |grep ldap
    disabled 0:14:00 svc:/network/ldap/client:default

2. '/var/ldap/ldap_client_file' is not there.

3. I re-initalized the client manually using the command below, but it does not still start the ldap client service.
    ldapclient manual -v -a defaultsearchbase=dc=amber,dc=xxx,dc=xxx,dc=com -a proxyDN=cn=proxyagent,ou=profile,dc=xxx,dc=xxx,dc=com -a domainname=xxx.xxx.com-a proxypassword=mypassword 111.111.111.111

4. If I try to re-initalize the client with this command
    /usr/sbin/ldapclient -v init -a proxyDN=cn=proxyagent,ou=profile,dc=xxx,dc=xxx,dc=com -a domainname=xxx.xxx.com -a proxyPassword=my password 111.111.111.111

It generate the following error:

Parsing proxyDN=cn=proxyagent,ou=profile,dc=xxx,dc=xxx,dc=com
Parsing domainname=xxx.xxx.com
Parsing proxyPassword=mypassowrd
Arguments parsed:
domainName: xxx.xxx.com
proxyDN: cn=proxyagent,ou=profile,dc=xxx,dc=xxx,dc=com
proxyPassword: mypassword
defaultServerList: 111.111.111.111
Handling init option
About to configure machine by downloading a profile
No profile specified. Using "default"
findBaseDN: begins
findBaseDN: ldap not running
findBaseDN: calling __ns_ldap_default_config()
__ns_ldap_list return NULL resultp
findBaseDN: Err exit
LDAP ERROR (91): Can't connect to the LDAP server.
Failed to find defaultSearchBase for domain xxx.xxx.com

1. /var/adm/messages file has the following message:
    libsldap: Status: 2 Mesg: Unable to load configuration '/var/ldap/ldap_client_file' ('').

How do I get ldap running again? What do I need to get the cachemgr working?

:wall:
Please help.

LDAP ERROR (91): Can't connect to the LDAP server.

Start your directory server.

1 Like

jlliagre,
Thank you! That worked.
I started the directory server and then did a ldapclient init, and it executed without an error and started the cachemanger.

However, a
ps -ef |grep sldap
produces nothing.

I still can't access any of the ldap accounts. Any thoughts?

---------- Post updated at 07:38 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:30 AM ----------

Sorry, I take that back. I still don't see a sldap process, but once I started ldapclient init without the manual process, all the accounts started working again.

Not sure why I don't see the sldap process, but everything seems to be back on track.

Thank you for you help.

Is your ldap server installed on the same ldap client machine ?

Yes. And everything is working out great, after starting the directory server. I just realised why I can't see the directory server. It was a typo. I was looking for a process named sldap instead of slapd!

Thank you for you help. I really appreciate it.:b:

Be aware that your configuration is unsupported and will fail again at each reboot.

Chapter�8 Introduction to LDAP Naming Services (Overview/Reference) (System Administration Guide: Naming and Directory Services (DNS, NIS, and LDAP))

Oops! I will try to get this setup. I assume that you me that is should be added to the startup process, etc? Thank you for the link.

This can't work. There is a deadlock situation here.