Cant find Unix process with ps -ef

Hi All,

Heres a little background. We have essbase installed on a solaris server. We are running a report script. The script starts and runs ok..

1. after some time if i do the ps -ef i can see the process, and it generally completes successfully.
  2. Most of the times, when i do the ps with even the process id, nothing comes up. but after two hours or so, the log file gets updated that the script failed. All the two hours the log file is also in a standstill, like 'report script is being executed' and then it fails.

Why am i not able to find the process? And since the error log gets updated, doesnt it mean that that script is running? Is there a command that I can use to cehck such processes?

Regards,
Noufal Shah

I think the issue is that the report runs as a lwp - a thread. The thread runs off the essbase process. Reformat your ps output to show lwp's.

Thanks for the reply Jim. But this happens like at times. and whenever I am not able to see the process with the ps, the script fails... So would it still be lwp... or is the process getting hung or something?