Cannot mount boot archive

hi, I' ve found an error while starting up solaris 10, so I booted in safe mode from grub and modified the menu.lst with vi, to obtain a verbose output of the error. It says

failed to readsuperblock 
diskread reading beyound end of ramdisk
start = 0x800 size=0x800 
panic: cannot mount boot archive

have you any ideas for solving the problem?

maybe you should post the initial fault and the modifications you've done to the grub config...

i had a problem at boot, it reboot by itself without any error message , so the only thing i did was to add "-v" at the end of the boot line, so now I've this

kernel /platform/i87pc/multiboot  kernel/unix -v

I only add the "-v" flag , nothing else

you are not providing sufficient log/output. can you boot to single user mode first? capture and show whats the console message before it goes to single user/maintenance mode for login. And also for information, what model is this server?

maybe I miss something , I hope this time all needed information are included. in the attachments there are the screen message I have in normal boot and safe boot . I add in a/boot/grub/menu.lst a this line

module /platform/i86pc/boot_archive

and now the message

doesn't appear anymore. Now I see the screen I've attached with the name of normalBOOT.jpg, when I boot in normal mode, after this screen the pc reboot suddenly.

you mean physical server or a virtual one? i don't understand. if first, I 'm running solaris on X86 pc Pentium 4.

Not able to see the images in IE.
And its a joke!:rolleyes: Thought it was an x86 physical server at first. Did not thought that it was a Pentium PC:)

---------- Post updated at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:18 PM ----------

Boss, saw it in firefox.. Just an advise, you are using a very old release of Solaris (update w/o patches with LOTS of bugs in fact). Why dont you download the latest to install? It will eliminate majority of your problems.

Whatever it is, when your system is in single user mode, do this:-

cd /
mount /dev/dsk/cxtxdxs0 /mnt
bootadm update-archive -R /mnt
cd /
umount /mnt
init 6

Hope this helps

well, i'm trying to learn something about of unix, after I've used linux for some months, so if I would made a fresh install of solaris I won't learn anything about the solaris maintainence practises. That's all :o.
anyway I think with single-user you mean the screen I called safe boot mode, I go there and type what you suggested but i don't have /dev/dsk/cxtxdxs0 voice , i see only cxdxp0 and cxdxsx ones. the cxdxsx goes from c0d1s0 to c0d1s15, I tried anyway to type bootadm update-archive -R /mnt but I have this message back

/mnt/: not a GRUB boot OS instance

don't know what does it mean.

Not true, first do a proper installation of a good OS instance first. That will help you to learn, if you're going to continue troubleshooting wih this w/o any knowledge, you're going to get tired out of it.

---------- Post updated at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:04 AM ----------

Btw, did you do mount /dev/dsk/c0d1so /mnt before executing the above?

Trust me, pls go into re-installing the OS with Solaris 10 U8 for x86

hi finally i managed to do the operation , but this doesn't solved the problem , I even searched on google until I find that the "-k" flag can be add to the kernel line , and I did.The output cannot mount root path ,and other thing you can see in the image, anyway I think that will follow your advice, and start again with a new installation of solaris, since it seems I can' t restore the system with my knowledge. Thanks

you can read the read me file

/lib/svc/readme

or run the command in s level
svcadm clear system/boot-archive