Cannot load grep libraries

Hi,
When I log in to RHEL machine using root login, I get the error as "rhel -bash: /bin/grep: cannot execute binary file" and this is also shown in the attachment here. Also I cannot open the folder "/bin/egrp", using CoreFTP, even when I am logged in as a root user. Please help. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to forums,

You are doing cd and the error which you are getting is valid since /bin/egrep is not directory

akshay@nio:~$ ls /bin/egrep 
/bin/egrep

akshay@nio:~$ cd /bin/egrep 
bash: cd: /bin/egrep: Not a directory

akshay@nio:~$ file /bin/egrep 
/bin/egrep: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.15, BuildID[sha1]=0x860cd228e4487c8ea24cb9713555614a82996ae6, stripped

akshay@nio:~$ /bin/egrep --v
/bin/egrep (GNU grep) 2.10

---------- Post updated at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:57 PM ----------

its not $path its $PATH in capital letters would result something like this

akshay@nio:~$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/ferret/bin:/home/akshay/Packages_External/my_executables:/usr/local/Software/ncl/bin:/home/akshay/cTraceo-stable/bin:/usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/lib/gmt/bin:/home/akshay/android-sdk-linux/tools:/home/akshay/android-sdk-linux/platform-tools:/home/akshay/Dev/android-sdk-linux/tools:/home/akshay/Dev/android-sdk-linux/platform-tools

Thanks Akshay, but the error of grep occurs as soon as I log in as root (without performing any operations). Please check the new attachment and please help on this.

Is it possible that grep has been compiled for a different architecture?

What are the permissions on /bin/grep?

No. There are hardly any chances of this !!! Thanks !!! Any other input you have?

THe permissions are in the attached herewith. egrep, fgrep and some other commands in /bin are appearing in red. Is this some error indication?

I don't see "grep" on that listing.

What are the "cp_old" files?

What do you get when you run:

ldd /bin/grep

egrep and fgrep are there... among the broken links. Meaning grep itself is not there at all.

grep is there - 7 lines down from the links.

Yes, grep is right between echo_old and mkdir_old.

It appears that you have a mayor issue with symlinks in general, since it is not only grep, but all those showing in red, plus some indication base on your first attachment, /usr/local/bin

At this time, with the given information, if I have to guess, I'll say someone broke it playing around renaming files from the coreutils package. echo, mkdir, cp has been renamed to `_old'. These are all coreutils files and guess what file is also part of coreutils? ln (/bin/ln is for symbolic links)