cannot load any operating system

I've tried installing Linux (SuSE because it's the easiest disc I had on hand) and Windows, and neither can boot. The specific problems are below.

With Linux: During the installation, I get error message on most of the packages, even though I left all of them up to the default, and it sais that it cannot mount inted image On boot, Grub bootloader interface comes up with the options to boot Linux or failsaif. Both give the same error message. Cannot mount the root filesystem.

On Windows: Installation works fine, but on boot I get the error message: Cannot load operating system.

The Bios, Windows, and Linux recognise my hard drive.

I tried FIXMBR from the Windows repair console. Didn't change anything, though it did say that I have a nonstandard MBR.

try another harddrive.

though it could be a BIOS setting.

Heheh, I wish I had another hd to try it on. If that was the case, I'd just use the other hard drive. This computer with this hard drive has worked well for about a year. I'm sure it isn't the bios, because i haven't changed any of its settings except for boot priority when needed. Thanks for the help.

Try running a program like Memtest to check your memory sticks.