and I get:

Rebooting with command: boot cdrom -s
Boot Device: /pci@1e,600000/ide@d/cdrom@2,0:f File and args: -s
Can't read disk label.
Can't open disk label package
Evaluating:

Can't open boot device

Any ideas what's going on?

As noted in the message marked in red above... maybe the boot command is expecting you to provide the pathname of a file on the CD-ROM and not just the -s argument to be passed to it???

What operating system and hardware are you using?

1 Like

The command is correct for Solaris Sparc, and a CD with a Solaris boot block should work.
Is the CD okay? Cloned ones can miss the boot block.
Can also be a defective cdrom drive (does it work otherwise?).
Or a firmware bug: after a couple of boots need a reset at the Ok prompt (maybe first set auto-boot to false).

3 Likes

Firstly, you are not giving enough information here. As Don said, what hardware is it? What version of Solaris is it? Not all [platforms can run Solaris 11 and Some hardware platforms are particularly fussy what versions of Solaris 8 or 9 they will run. So you need to verify that hardware and O/S are compatible first.

Secondly, everything that MadeInGermany said.

1 Like

Sorry I left stuff out.. Solaris 9 on a Sun SunBlade 2500 Sparc.

--- Post updated at 08:42 AM ---

The CDs I've tried are originals. I've tried the Operating Environment and the "Software 1 of 2" CDs. I've tried about 5 CDs altogether. I've restored this machine before and the drive worked at that time.

Have you tried to reset it?

ok> setenv aut-boot? false
ok> reset

(Or power-cycle)

ok> boot cdrom -s

Finally, when everything works, it makes sense to enable auto-boot again

ok> setenv auto-boot? true
1 Like

I get

setenv: command not found

though it does appear in

man page

Same situation for

boot

When I'm in the terminal window. Only after I

init 0

, am I able to even run

boot cdrom-s

Note: the hard drive I'm using is presumably an old backup image. It starts up but I don't know the status of it.
Also, to clarify, my goal here is to format one of the hard drives. I can use the Operating Environment ROM for this- correct?

My commands are for the ok> prompt, after an "init 0" from the Solaris OS.
Maybe your prompt is slightly different: {1} ok .
Another useful command is:

ok> printenv
1 Like

You have two processors there. The service processor and the main processor. You cannot boot from cdrom into single user if the main processor is up and running Solaris. Is your terminal connected to the main console or (or a redirection from the main console port)?

If

setenv

and

boot

are "not found" then you are talking to the main processor which is running.

If this is NOT a production box then:

Type these keystrokes:

#.

which will ensure that you are talking to the service processor. Hit return a couple of times to check you have a

OK>

prompt from the service processor.

Enter:

to ensure that the main processor is down

Then you can:

ok> boot cdrom -s

Try all the installation cdrom's you have this way.

Yes, this could be a hardware fault but it's not likely.

It's more likely that the main processor is not down (stopped) when you are trying to boot from cdrom.

3 Likes

Thanks.. printenv did show auto-boot? true true I then changed it to false and it says auto-boot? false true

Ok thank you... I did not know there were two different processors.

So when I set auto-boot? false , and start the machine up, it immediately goes to the {1} ok prompt, instead of requiring me to log in and init 0 from a terminal. When I #. , I get #. ? and when I halt , I get halt ?

The installation CD gives me a different error than the Operating environment cd:

Boot device: /pci@1e,600000/ide@d/cdrom@2,0:f File and args: -s
boot: cannot open kernel/sparcv9/unix
Enter filename [kernel/sparcv9/unix

Note- the drive is actually a DVD drive, not a CDROM drive. I don't recall this making a difference in the past. Does it?

--- Post updated at 09:11 AM ---

In printenv , boot-file shows nothing next to it. Is that the problem maybe?

--- Post updated at 09:16 AM ---

Additional note.. when I use reset , I get reset?

and.. this is a standalone machine.. I am logging into it directly.

I am surprised that reset is an unknown command. Try reset-all. Or power-cycle the box.
I think "Enter filename" means it has run a boot block okay, but it does not find the "platform" (e.g. for your box it is "SUNW,Sun-Blade-2500") on the CD (or DVD).
That means the CD is too old. Usually "Solaris X HW M/Y" is written on it. You must use another CD with a higher M/Y (month/year).

1 Like

Thanks. Haven't tried that yet because I made progress..

After trying all of my opened ROMs that are dated 8/03, 12/03, and 4/04, the 4/04 Operating environment gave me the Can't read disk label error, and all other disks, including the installation and software disks gave me the Can't open kernel error. So I broke the seal on a brand new 4/04 package and the Operating Environment CD worked. So yeah!..

But I am curious about what's going on here.. it had two operating environment CDs in the package I opened that appear identical. I tried the other one and it did not work. I got

Bad magic number in disk label
Can't open disk label package
Can't open boot device

Combined with the other errors, what could be going on? I doubt its so many bad ROMs.

--- Post updated at 02:29 PM ---

Wait.. Now I see.. One is x86

Aha!
Much different from a Sparc disk label and boot block.

1 Like

Thanks again for the help!