Can ZFS Save my Data

Hello,

Our RAID and server recently crashed and we are trying to recover our data. The problem appears to be that the Veritas File System/Logical Volume Manger became corrupt on our RAID. We are down to our last option, which is to run some Veritas commands that "may" result in data loss.

Our server is running Solaris 8. I thought that if we installed Solaris 10 on the server and configured ZFS, then we may be able to recover our data, since ZFS is more like "plug and play" for storage. No RAID drives failed, so we have all our data, we just can't access it.

I thought, if needed, we could remove all disks from the RAID and add one new disk to one enclosure, then configure ZFS. Once configured, we could insert the remining disks into the RAID enclosures and ZFS should be able to read the disks.

Is this possible? Can ZFS save the day or will I still need to reformat the RAID? Thanks in advance.

Ken

if you add a disk to a zpool it will get a new layout and new label. therfore ALL data on the disk will be lost.