Can you stop qdaemon from emailing users?

Morning, All.

Does anyone know how to stop qdaemon from emailing users when print jobs fail?

This is causing a problem as the application that we use is mail-aware; users get a prompt onscreen when they have unread mail in their UNIX account, however they don't all have access to the part of the application which allows them to view and delete this mail (a large portion have been migrated to exchange). This is annoying for users and generates calls to our helpdesk which have to be escalated to other teams with an appropriate level of access to delete the mail - which is obviously turns into an expensive waste of time! A man page, Google and forum search has turned up nothing, can anyone help?

As an aside - if you have to look the answer up, where are you looking? Any useful website suggestions are obviously very welcome.

Thanks and regards,

Alex

Look at the /etc/qconfig file. What is your recovery_type set to? Does the interface script you are using for the printer use mail for user notification?

Cheers,

Keith

Faint bells are ringing with this 'recovery_type' thing... unfortunately I'm still at a loss! You'll have to forgive me as I'm relatively new to all this. I've had a look around in the qconfig file and also poked around SMIT setting up printers but haven't come across this option yet, though I have heard of it before somewhere....

The printers are all created in the same way as they are all the same make\model and are created using a scripted interface (to allow the helpdesk to create them), so they all turn out the same. Here's an example qconfig entry for a printer;

0020pa01:
device = @0020pa01
up = TRUE
host = 0020pa01
s_statfilter = /usr/lib/lpd/bsdshort
l_statfilter = /usr/lib/lpd/bsdlong
rq = lp
@0020pa01:
backend = /usr/lib/lpd/rembak -T7200

Thanks for your help so far!

Regards,

Alex