Can Unix access Windows' File through Command Prompt in Unix

Hi all,

I wish to know whether Unix can access window's file in Unix's terminal?
Apart from that, how to copy files or share files between Window and Unix? I get to know of secure copy, however, my company's Unix does not support the feature of secure copy? Any other method for me to share/ copy files via Unix's terminal?
Thanks.

By the way your questions are redundant.
You need a telnet server on Windows side.
Configuring SAMBA Server or FTP server or even install Windows Services for UNIX will allows file sharing.

The easy answer is FTP

you can install cygwin in the window machine and do the work .

Cygwin is:a collection of tools which provide a Linux look and feel environment for Windows.

Cygwin

Hi H@foorsa.biz,
By default, my company is using Samba Server, I can manually access the files thorough Samba Server. However, my concern is I just want to access through files through command in Unix's terminal, example I want to access my Win files in Unix's terminal just by typing /c/jessy/filename.

Hi Amitranjansahu,
What do you mean by installing Cygwin and do the work? I have install Cygwin in my PC, so what can I do with it?

Thanks you guys.

---------- Post updated at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:14 AM ----------

Hi Amitranjansahu,

I had tried copying files from Unix to my Win successfully with Cygwin's Command Prompt. However, there is another question arises, may I know whehter Cygwin is running Win's command as there are a lot of Win command can't be executed via Cygwin's Command Prompt, for instance, start, color etc. Besides, I try to use vi, xterm via Cygwin's Command Prompt, these Unix command can't be executed via Cygiwn's command Prompt as well.
So, what does that mean?
Thanks.

Actually, there is an easy way to do this without having to worry about SAMBA or FTP. Just mount the windows share within UNIX. Now, having said that...It may be O/S dependant (I've done it with AIX 5.3 & 6.1)

Linux among others has this ability, though it's not the same everywhere.

In Linux you could do something like this:

mount -t cifs //192.168.0.173/share /share/ -o username=username,password="whatever",uid=1000,gid=100

...which would try to contact the computer at 192.168.0.173, and mount the share named 'share' onto the local folder /share/, providing windows the username of 'username' and password of 'whatever', and showing all the files as belonging to uid 1000 gid 100.

As an aside, exporting your entire C drive is probably a security no-no.