Can Scanner be Initialized from the Terminal

Hi, somewhat of a newbie with Linux, although I have been at it for about three weeks now.

Is there a way to wake up or initialize my scanner with a command in the terminal?

Your post doesn't provide much information.

You've posted to Ubuntu so I assume that is your Linux distro.

You are trying to wake up a scanner so I assume it supports wake-on-lan?

So do you need to send a magic packet from Ubuntu to the scanner?

What make/model of scanner?

1 Like

Sorry, still new to this. I'm using Mint 17.2 which is based on Ubuntu 14.04. The problem I am having is with my Cannon LIDE 110 scanner. Linux Hardware reference states there is no issues with this scanner, but I am having one.

When I use Simple Scan, Xsane or Skanlite software, they all will scan first time no problem, but when I close the software and re-open later on, none of them can find the scanner anymore, so I thought since I can't seem to find out how to fix this, maybe before I open the software, I could use some type of wake up cmd in the terminal, if that is possible, and then open the scanner software and scan again.

Right now the only option I have is to remove the scanner usb cable and re-insert it again. Most of the time that is enough for the scanning software to detect the scanner again. This scanner works fine in Win7 but not in my Linux machine. I've tried a power usb hub, changed to different usb ports and updated to latest kernel but none of that worked. If I type "lsusb" in the Linux terminal, it displays that the scanner is there, so somewhat confused about it all.

So this scanner is not directly connected to your network but is plugged into a USB port on the Linux machine?

When you plug it into a USB port on your Windows box it works all the time?

1 Like

Yes, it is plugged into a USB port on my Linux machine and my Linux machine is not connected to any network.

Yes, works all the time, every time when plugged into a USB port on my Windows pc. The one thing I have noticed
is that on the Windows box, when I boot up, the scanner is making sounds, which seems to be Windows setting it.
But when it is connected to the Linux machine and I boot, no scanner sounds.

Most Linux distros have the capability to power down dormant USB devices and a quick search on Google tells me that Ubuntu is one of them. Perhaps you have that function enabled (accidentally)?

Read this:
How to disable auto power off of usb devices like usb mouse? - Ask Ubuntu

and this

power management - How can I disable usb-autosuspend for a specific device? - Ask Ubuntu

Disconnecting the USB and reconnecting it would power up that USB port.

Suggest you investigate that and report back.

That makes perfect sense hicksd8, I will check up on it all and report back. Your info has been of very high quality and I am grateful.

---------- Post updated at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:06 AM ----------

---------- Post updated at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:52 PM ----------

sudo: powernap-action returns "command not found" in Linux Mint 17.2 terminal

Tried the sudo su commands and I guess I just don't know enough about linux yet to make them work. I've downloaded an over 500 page linux manual and I think I better start reading it more to try and get a grasp on it. My aim is to drop windows completely :slight_smile: