Can ping out but cannot receive

Hi there,

I am able to ping google.com
However, I am able to see like google.com (172.xx.xx.xx).
When the ping is done, like 5 packet transmitted but zero packet recieved. How do I go about re-mediating it?

What exactly is your problem to be re-mediated?

I am able to test if a particular host is reachable. However, I did not receive a data packet back.

How are you able to tell a "host is reachable" when you do "not receive a data packet back"?

This is a sed control file we use to report no return after doing a ping to a number of remote computers. Run this file after specifying sed -n -f following_code log_of_pings .

/ ping statistics / {
                    N
                   / 0 packets / {
                        s/^....//
                        s/ .*//
                        p
                      }
                   }

You may have to experiment with the s commands to format the name of your remote computers. The N appends the line following "ping statistics" so it can be checked for "0 packets" while info on the remote computer is on the "same" line (before a line feed).

You are proving that you can lookup the DNS name to give you an IP address and indeed you may be sending packets and requests out from your server, but zero packets received means:-

• The target IP is not active
  • There is no route to the target IP (you mention google.com but then a 172.x.x.x private address)
  • Your outbound IP tables may filter them out
  • Your network devices may filter them out
  • The target IP may ignore you
  • The target IP may try to respond but your public-facing proxy may filter them out
  • The target IP may try to respond but your internal network devices may filter them out
  • The target IP may try to respond but your inbound IP tables may filter them out

A ping is one type of packet, so it does not guarantee that you will actually be able to hold a conversation with the target address.

What is your eventual intention for which I presume that this is a step? Perhaps there is a better way to be monitoring what it is that you really need.

Kind regards,
Robin

Moderator comments were removed during original forum migration.
1 Like