Can not log onto console

Hi,

I have been trolling thorugh vast numbers of information but have not yet found a solution to my problem.

I am unable to log onto my servers console and I can not explain whats going on.

I am running Solaris 10 and have a console connected to it via a kvm switch. I am able to see the logon prompt GUI and can enter my credentials. When I click ok the GUI disappears and looks like it is about to load the OS. The screen flashes then displays the logon GUI again. This happens for all known accounts except for root because root has been disallowed.

I know for a fact the OS is operating fine and correct, I am able to telnet and ssh into the the server with the same accounts (except root) but just can not log onto the console.

I have looked through various logs and have not discovered anything helpful.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Well, depending on what precisely is the case:

1) you can't log into the console as a non-root user because your users aren't in the right group for console access.
2) you normally could log into the console, and this is a new thing - which points to a window manager configuration error.

It's been a while since I used Solaris, but does it still have a way to select a "failsafe" mode on the console login screen? Or select a different window manager?

That would be the first step to debugging this. Of course, if you don't have root on the machine, maybe your account just doesn't have console access permitted.

Thanks for the reply.

This is something which I have previously been able to do.

Yes there is a failsafe mode and I have tried this also.

Is there a way to see if the non-root users are able to log into the console?