Can igniteUX run on windows? or Solaris? to instal HP-UX on a PA-RISC?

Hellow,

I want to get a PA-RISC C3750 running HP-UX. For that purpose I need to set up an ingniteUX server, on another machine, in order to shove the HP-UX into the target C3750. :rolleyes: Or so it seems. :confused:

:confused: Question: Can I use a PC (Windows 7) to run ingnite?

The ideia is to connect the PC to the C3750 via a twisted pair ethernet cable, run the ignite on Windows 7,and install HP-UX from a virtual CD (well, 4 CDs) located in the PC (the C3750 has no CD drive); or perhaps I could use the PC's cd rom drive?
Alternatively, I could connect an UltraSparc5 to the C3750. No CD rom drive there neither.
Alternatively, I could connect through the RS232 port of the C3750? Not sure what is best.

Can anyone help, inform and advise me on this process? :confused:

You will need to run ignite ux on HPUX machine (v11 or further)

Regards
Peasant.

1 Like

Ingite doesn't run in anything else than HP-UX? Not even another unix or Linux?
Is there any other way to install HP-UX on a C3750, then?

Without ignite, you will probably need a external SCSI cdrom of some kind and HPUX media.

Unfortunatly, i never has this issue since i always had multiple HPUX boxes to install from.
Perhaps other members of forum can help you more.

Regards
Peasant.

And booting the external drive CD rom drive, would it possible to install without ignite?
Is it possible to boot to a server with ignite over the internet? A netboot?

Ignite is only useful if you have a HP-UX golden image somewhere in your network... For security reasons I doubt you find a server to boot from on the net since it uses bootp...

If you have the install CDs, you have nothing more to look for but to get your box booting from that CD (yes it can be external, that is mostly what I have since I always choosed to prefer the tape drive internal ( Yes, for ignite...)

1 Like

Ignite-UX is also available on Linux, it's called Ignite-LUX. For some idiotic reason however, it isn't available on its own - you must purchase some other "software suite" from HP in order to get Ignite-LUX. We just went through this exercise recently, and found the "software suite" to be prohibitively priced. Stupid, since Ignite-UX is "free" on HP-UX.

• I don't remember the name of the software suite, but it was kind of enterprise management and monitoring thing.

And HP-UX costs how much? :wink: The piper must be paid one way or the other...

My complaint isn't that the product costs money; it's that it cannot be purchased on its own. You are required to buy a massive enterprise management and monitoring suite in order to get Ignite-LUX. And it's extremely expensive, think $30k+

I understand the concept of charging for a product, but in this instance, the bundling and pricing are outrageous, and incongruous with HP's other offerings.