Can I run Perkin Elmer software on SCO ?

can i run software run in SCO open desktop 2.0 in SCO open server 5 or 6
thank you for help me

Generally speaking yes.

thank's but software not work or i don't know install it
my software name perkin elmer is chemistry analys
for install it i have *5 floppy disk (software library)
*1 flopppy disk (ide configuration)
*1 floppy disk (supplement disk)

Those are likely what were called "install" disks (though they could be "installpkg")

See xinstall(ADM) and
installpkg(ADM)

Whether or not the app will actually work... shrug... I do not know.

Running SCO install commands on software that may not run on SCO is not very useful, so first we must find out if the user's Perkin Elmer Chemistry Analysis software can actually run on SCO.

For all we know, the user has Windows XP binaries on his floppy disks.

In fact, if we search Perkin Elmer (I just did!), I can only that XP is supported. Here is an example:

A site search for SCO on the same web site yields nothing.

So, the user needs to verify what kind of binaries they have first.

Since it ran on an earlier version of SCO it should (sucker that I am for making statements like this) be easy to find out what you have.

Plug the first install disk in the floppy and run "tar tvf /dev/fd0135ds18" and tell us what it reports.
If it errors out then try to mount it "mount /dev/fd0135ds18 /mnt". If it doesn't error out tell us the results of "ls /mnt" then "umount /mnt".
And as the last test for this sequence , running as root, use "custom" and tell it "software" , "new" , from "current machine by name", image file, and from
"/dev/fd0135ds18".
One of those tries may work. But may not. In spite of what Yoda says.

Except that he implied that these came from a SCO 2 system.

It's also possible that this is old DOS stuff. SCO had a Dos emulation shell way back when, so they might have run under that.

Running xinstall or installpkg isn't going to try to install anything that isn't in the formats those installers expect, so it's harmless to try.

I assumed you meant you had 5 floppies of size 3". If this is 5" floppies the device changes to fd096ds18. Assuming HD floppies.
If they are low density (the earlier version of SCO came with multiple choices of size and density) the devices are fd096ds9 or fd0135ds9 IIRC. Look in your /dev directory for the listing of what is available as my rememberance can be flawed by non-use. My last low density of either size was probably 1995.

Indeed.

And it's a bit of a crap-shoot if a 5.25" disk that old is going to read reliably.

When WILL we see the last of SCO? :slight_smile:

Hi, Tony.

I expect we'll be answering these questions for at least another 10 years.

Well, you will. I should be decrepit and senile by then.

I'm already decrepit and senile.

The last time I saw a running 3.2v4.2 was October 2006, so yeah, we'll be seeing these 5.0.7 and (a very few) Sco 6 systems for a while yet.

The problem I have is that my brain is exhibiting bit-rot. Those old SCO neurons don't get refreshed often enough - even for the 5.0.x stuff. I find it ironically amusing when I go Googling for something SCOish and find my answer in something I wrote myself :slight_smile:

Ha! If that is the case, then Wiki says that SCO Open Desktop 2.0 is 3.2v4.1 1992.

So, can software for SCO 3.2v4.1 run on SCO OpenServer 5.0 3.2v5.0 1995 ? I assume it can.

Are these really the old 5" floppies? I can't understand the posts so well :confused:

Oh, one more thing:

If those ARE MSDOS software disks, it's better to throw up a Linux box and use a Dos emulator under that than mess around with SCO. I suppose you could argue that's a matter of opinion, but I doubt you'll find many willing to take the other side of the debate.

Funny!! I just Googled SCO 2 Perkin Elmer and guess what :wink:

SCO 2 perkin elmer - Google Search

Nor can we :slight_smile:

Most older SCO apps could transition to the 5.0.x versions. If there were obstacles, sometimes a little creative linking/ symlinking could resolve it, but in general, you have to need or want it very badly if it doesn't just pop up working. I can tell you that it would take a lot more than money to get me involved in anything like that today. In general, I strongly urge people toward Linux - and even (shudder) Windows if there is no other choice.

The stuff is just too hard to support. I fixed up an old SCO spreadsheet app to run on a 5.0.6 system some years back - for unexplained reasons it just stopped working last year. The people wanted me to fix it again - I just put my foot down and told them they had to move on because I wasn't going to mess with it again. They were not happy, but I was :slight_smile:

---------- Post updated at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:20 PM ----------

I found Peerkins Elmer software running on SCO:

EVISA Instrument database: Perkin-Elmer Corp. - Optima 3000

Bottom of the page:

So - he very well could have old SCO software. Again, could be xinstall, pkgadd or even just tar or cpio disks.

That was a good find ! Bravo! Just about the same year as SCO 2 as well.

This thread is evolving to an exciting edition of CSI - UNIX Forensics..... :smiley:

OBTW, according to the best lead we have so far:

I used to run HP Rocky Mountain Basic (RMS) around the same time frame that controlled IEEE-488 gear (HP test equipment), so it could indeed be native SCO software.

Back then, SCO was very popular. Remember, Linux barely existed and any other multi-user/ multi-tasking OS was expensive. SCO was relatively cheap (about $1500.00) and you could attach dumb terminals or Windows. A LOT of folks ported software to SCO (Lotus, Perkin Elmer, Oracle, Pick, RealWorld accounting, Foxpro...) and really - you couldn't throw a rock in any city or town without hitting a SCO system - they were everywhere, from the corner gas stations to restaurants and airlines.

But SCO management blew it all. They'd tell a different story, but really 90% of their downward spiral was their own fault.

i started using Linux, Slackware 0.8 (as I recall), around the same time period. I used it to replace ATT 3B2s in the USAF, Air Combat Command.

The 3B2s were so bad that I recall the system locking up just running an update with the ifconfig command. They were big and square and white and made great door stops. I used them as stands for potted plants and installed Linux (Slackware) on every broken/available Intel machine I could find in the closets of ACC bases. That was late 1993, early 1994.

I really don't recall ever using SCO, even back then we were installing Linux to replace MS mail servers, DNS servers, etc. at every opportunity.

Viva the Revolution!

I lucked out and missed the ODTs. Xenix 3.2.5 (I think it was) to 3.2.4.0, 4.2, then 5.0.0. But I can remember the 386 and 486 during the timeframe under discussion.

Only had one system that talked to instruments so I would plead ignorance of the details. If it wasn't inside the box, the install of the OS, the standard i/o I, computone, or arnet I avoided it.