Can I change my hostname without messing things up?

I noticed my hostname is <my-full-name>s-macbook.local. I'm not sure exactly what information leaves the local network, and whether the hostname is included, but if it is, this would mean people on the Internet can look at my hostname and see who I am. Before anyone says that's not possible, there was a time when someone addressed me by my full name on YouTube, and that was when I was on an account that I had created through a GMail account that didn't have my real name on it, so they must have gotten my real name by looking at my hostname, or at least something similar to that.

So I would like to change my hostname, but I'm not sure if I can do this without messing things up on my local host. I'm afraid if I change things like my IP address or my hostname, I won't be able to use the Internet anymore. Can anyone explain to me how this works? I guess I basically have three questions: 1) Will changing my hostname affect my ability to log onto a network. 2) If so, why? 3) If so, what other information do I need to reconfigure so I can log onto a network again?

Additional information that may be relevant: I have no home network. I always use public WiFi networks.

It won't affect your being able to connect to the internet. It'll just change the name of your machine.

You may want to read this (old) article : Changing your Mac�s Computer Name | OSXDaily or Set the HostName, Computer Name, and Bonjour Name Separately in OS X | OSXDaily

1 Like

So you can't just change the name of a Mac OS X computer with the hostname command? Like is there a difference between that and doing it from the System Preferences?

As explained here : Change your Mac Hostname via Terminal | OSXDaily No.

1 Like

Okay, so hostname sets the hostname temporarily. I understand now.