Calling PERL from a Korn shell script

I am currently in Afghanistan and do not have access to some of the resources I normally do back in the US. Just accessed this site and it looks promising! Hopefully you will not find my question too much of a waste of your time.

I write mostly Korn Shell and PERL on Solaris systems for the Army. There are times when writing in one language you run into a wall and really need to do something in another. I have been using this method when in PERL to insert ksh mini-scripts and subroutines:

#!/usr/bin/perl
print �This proves I am writing in PERL... enter something
---> �;
chomp($file=<STDIN>);
print �\n$file\n�;
system(<<EOF); # Will run system commands until EOF
echo \n
ps -ef | grep -i oracle | sed �G;G'
EOF
print �\nBack in PERL!\n�;

Is there a similar method to call PERL from a ksh script besides perl -e? I have tried variations of the above method and although I can call PERL with:
perl <<'EOF'
print "
----> \n";
chomp($file=<STDIN>);
print "$file";
EOF

The print statement works but the $file=<STDIN> doesn't. I have tried back ticks, escaping the $, etc and nothing works. Any suggestions?

Hi, by redirecting from the here document into perl's stdin, regular stdin becomes unavailable to the perl script...

Do you have access to ksh93 or bash? You could try this:

perl <(
cat <<'EOF'
print "
----> \n";
chomp($file=<STDIN>);
print "$file";
EOF
)

Perfect! That works exactly like I need. I appreciate your time in responding. You are a genius and I am an idiot. (Maybe the 14 hour days 7 days a week for the last year and a half are catching up with me.)
Thanks so much.