calculating disk space for growth

what's the best way to calculate the raw disk space in format. the system is a Solaris system using EMC disks- df -k will give me what's used plus available.Now I need the total disk space that the system is using/assigned. Which means I must inventory the raw disks in format. the system uses vxfs, ufs as well as format which all have overhead.
HELP!

I figured it out. thanks.

could you please share this knowlegde, because am having the same difficulties.

I tried using the format command but the only show me the size of each partitions.

What exactly is your question? I figured out why no one answered, it's because everything depends on the setup of the environment that the server is running in.
How the partions are layed out, how much overhead a file system takes, whether it's vxfs or ufs. Give me your wuestion and I will do my best to share my knowledge.

1, my first question is how did you solve your problem to your first post that is (calculating disk space for growth) given that same scenario.?

2, my second question is how do you work out the total size of a
disk, disk space that system is using and unassign? the system is using ufs

3, How do you increase filesystem size on ufs filesystem?

4, how do you increase filesystem size on disk suite filesystem?

5, how do you increase filesystem size on veritas filesystem?

I think that the best way to know the size of your disk, is running the command "inq" (inquiry from emc).

You can get this binary in the emc ftp server :

ftp.emc.com

/pub/symm3000/inquiry/v5.0.1.0/inq/inq.solar26
or
/pub/symm3000/inquiry/v5.0.1.0/inq/inq.solaris

run this command with root

The output of this command is same to :

sysadm01# inq
Inquiry utility, Version 7.06 (SIL Version 4.1.3)
Copyright (C) by EMC Corporation, all rights reserved.
For help type inq -h.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
DEVICE :VEND :PROD :REV :SER NUM :CAP(kb)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2 :SEAGATE :ST34371W SUN4.2G:7462 :9806W226 :4192560
/dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s2 :SEAGATE :ST32171W SUN2.1G:7462 :97169567 :2078600

In this example, the size of the disk is in bold ...

I hope help you !

Witt

I am not familiar at all with calculating server space. I have a file server that has 3 18.2gb SCSI drives using RAID5. I know that the RAID rule is (n-1)/n * disk capacity (18.2gb) to calculate how much space is remaining on each drive after parity, but I just can't seem to get the numbers to work out with what I know we have currently. Is there something I am missing?

Specs:

3 - 18.2 gb SCSIs
C drive space: 24.1 gb
D drive space: 9.76 gb
I can't figure out how these numbers are found

I am trying to justify adding 2 more drives to the array because we are getting low on space, but I need to be able to calculate the gain in space.

HELP!!!