c programming or unix programming!?

i would like advice on the usbject of c programming (in the middle of reading a book on C). could i benefit more if i apply that knowledge in the unix format if i were able to, or would that take the point out of learning C, basically I want to stay away from strying too far away from unix and use the skills that i can gain from languages like c to manifest my unix usage.. is this possible and if so what is the best way to do this.! :smiley: yours truely Junior Member!

I couldn't have asked for a better answer thank you my friend! but this leaves me with one more question as far as c programming and what you said.. how do i go about applying the use of c in unix with no compiler and source code available? and what should I do to create a database of C programms once I have got the source code and the compiler since I am intent on learning the language and finding it quite simple. should I apply a realistic enviroment to experiment with or should I just use a real enviroment once I have the unix language down pact.. is it worth it to apply the c programms to real circumstances or is the prize the resultant.. due to the fact that I have heard thet C is basically useless unless you do something with it.!:confused: