C Compiler on LINUX

Hi,

I am a new user for LINUX. I have started learning C programming. I have heard that there is gcc & g++ compilers already available on LINUX by default.

Kindly guide where to find these compliers on LINUX.

Regards

Depending on your distribution check if GCC is installed, or try 'which gcc' on the command line (XTerm/Konsole/GNOME Terminal/...). If that command prints out a path, you're all set.
You might want to consider installing an IDE like KDevelop or Eclipse.

himvat,

By default gcc is automatically installed in linux OS. Just type gcc in the console,

cheers

what is output of
gcc -v

Csor,

Not every distribution of Linux provides gcc in the default install. Sometimes additional media is required.

Hi guys am using Open Suse 10 and I misplaced the DVD somewhere...i dont have any pre existing gcc compilers. How do i install gcc now? ./configure isnt working, make install isnt working. Please help out. I've tried to download gcc.rpm but rpm -i option is also not working. :frowning:

It's better to create a new thread than to ressurect months-old ones whose contents have nothing to do with your question.

You can't build anything without a compiler, including compilers.

If you don't have anything to start with you need binaries. And not just any binaries but the correct ones for your distro and architecture; which probably depend on lots and lots of *-devel packages you never needed since you didn't install a compiler. Could you give more detail beyond "didn't work" as to what errors rpm gave?

Sorry was too desperate , have been trying for hours together.....

Error message with rpm -i gcc-xxx.rpm

warning: gcc-4.3.2-7.ppc64.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 4ebfc273
error: Failed dependencies:
        cpp = 4.3.2-7 is needed by gcc-4.3.2-7.ppc64
        glibc-devel >= 2.2.90-12 is needed by gcc-4.3.2-7.ppc64
        libc.so.6()(64bit) is needed by gcc-4.3.2-7.ppc64
        libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3)(64bit) is needed by gcc-4.3.2-7.ppc64
        libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3.4)(64bit) is needed by gcc-4.3.2-7.ppc64
        libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.4)(64bit) is needed by gcc-4.3.2-7.ppc64
        libgcc >= 4.3.2-7 is needed by gcc-4.3.2-7.ppc64
        libgcc_s.so.1()(64bit) is needed by gcc-4.3.2-7.ppc64
        libgomp = 4.3.2-7 is needed by gcc-4.3.2-7.ppc64
        libgomp.so.1()(64bit) is needed by gcc-4.3.2-7.ppc64

Like I thought, gcc has lots of dependencies.

I'm nearly certain downloading random RPMs and forcing rpm to install them is not the right way to update software on your system, especially for this, where it wants to mess with fundamental system things like libc. If you have a desktop, your system probably has YAST, OpenSUSE's graphical RPM installer that I think has the ability to download RPM's for the software you select. I'm having bad luck finding documentation for it unfortunately.

Nope....Intel Core Duo

You cannot install 64-bit macintosh powerpc binaries on an intel system probably running 32-bit, you should be happy you didn't succeed :wink:

So is there any way to go about this?? Am really getting tired :frowning:

Like I said, tried yast?