Buffer IO error

Hi guys,

Currently i have a IBM x366 running on Red Hat 4 attached to a DS4800. I've configured 10 LUNs to the server. Somehow, there is a lot buffer io error on device whenever it boot and when i issue the command dmesg.

My kernel is 2.6.9-22.ELsmp. I've updated the hba qla2300 firmware to the latest v08.01.62, rdac to b5.21, SANsurfer to the latest.

Still, the error pops up. I've also notice that during boot time, it checked the filesystem longer than usual. Maybe its checking on the buffer io.

I able to pinpoint the problem to hba and rdac, but yet unable to find the best solution. Any sifu out there able to help me?

Thank you.

Could you post the actual error message please?

These I/O errors might be real I/O errors, not a software fault, especially when the hard drive seems to be going downhill...

Thanx guys,

Problem solved after 5 restless night of thinking the right solution.

Solution, download and install firmware for hba qla2300 v08.01.62 and also rdac version 09.01.B5.21 for kernel 2.6.9-22.ELsmp. RAM image is using the original initrd image not the mpp image.
Add some minor config on grub.conf, reboot the server, plug in the fibre cable, run the hot_add command and Walaa..