Breaking Mirror

Can some one point this UNIX newbie to a web site or directions on the steps needed to break a mirror in HP-UNIX to change a bad hard drive.

No because you don't break a mirror to replace a bad hard drive. If you have a bad hard drive, you want a mirror.

Do a "vgdisplay -v vg00" (using which ever vg is in trouble). Some of the lv's should say "available/stale". Those are the ones affected by the bad drive.

You turn off the computer, and swap in the good drive. When the volume group is activated, typically at reboot time, it will sync the data. This can take a while. Just leave it alone. You can monitor the syncing process with lvdisplay -v and looking for changes in which extents are marked stale. And the system is usable during the sync...but it may be slower than usual.

thats what i thought but we had a hard drive go bad and HP told us we needed to break the mirror to swap the new hard drive. We didn't know how to do it so they charged us to do it and then changed the drive.

I have followed the procedure I gave many times. And HP gave that procedure to me....twice. The first two times that I lost a drive, I called the Responce Center to get the procedure.

thanks for your help. I use this next time it happens again.

again thanks