Booting to Command Prompt

Hello,
I need help booting to a command prompt. The server runs SCO Openserver 5.0, with a point of sale program that automatically boots upon startup. I can't gain root access, and the administrator password for the point of sale program is un-obtainable. I am upgrading to a new point of sale program and need the data file off of the old server. Any ideas? Thanks a bunch!

Assuming that you have the root password.
When you see the "boot:" prompt, press enter before it continues with the boot automatically. You will then be asked for the current date and time, and whether you want to start in single user mode or multiuser.
If you want single user, then you should enter the root password, otherwise enter <ctrl>d to enter multiuser.
After you have entered single user mode, you may have to issue a "mountall" command to mount additional file systems (/u).

---------- Post updated at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:30 AM ----------

In anticipation of your next question, do you know if the system has the Host version of Openserver, or the Enterprise version.
If you have the Enterprise version, you can use ftp to move the data.
If you have Host, however, you will probably have to install a second disk with a DOS file system and then remove the disk after copying the data to it.

No I don't have the root password. Any options? Thanks

Without the root password, your options are limited.

1. Do you have an emergency boot diskette?
    If so, you can boot from it and change the root password, then boot from the disk.
  2. If not;
    You will probably have to move the disk to another machine with SCO installed and mount it as a second disk, then copy the files to the primary drive, then to removable media.
  3. If it really is 5.0.0, then the CD jewel case and the CD are two tone green, not blue and yellow. The CD is not bootable, you have to boot from a diskette.
    My suggestion would be to find a suitable system, probably a socket 478 or 775 system with ide and sata in compatible mode, and at least one slot if the POS system is SCSI with a PCI controller. Download SCO 5.0.7 and install it on this system using the demo keys. Transfer the POS disk (and controller) to the new system, add the disk, and copy the data.
    You can use programs like hdclone to duplicate the disk, but you cannot change the size of any of the partitions.
    Alternatively, how is the system backed up, and to what media. It might be easier to take a backup (tape?) and restore it to another system.

---------- Post updated at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:31 PM ----------

If you are feeling lucky, and you have any login and password that does not automatically start the POS program, at the console, press <ctrl><alt> and <F3>, this should give you a login prompt on tty03. There may be enough files with permissions 0666 (read/write) by everybody to copy the data.

I am not sure if I have an emergency disk or not. I only have the boot disk that came with the POS software, which only boots to their program.

The problem is the machine has raid controller installed in it so their is 6 hard disks. It does run a backup on a Tandberg SLR 100 tape so maybe that would be an option.

It's probably an internal tape drive too.
Do you know what software is used to do the backup?
The tape drive will probably work with any SCSI controller. Adaptec 2940 controllers are still around.
I think that I have one of those tape drives. Where are you located?

No it is an external tape drive. The software that is used is the POS companies own backup software. We are located in St. Cartharines.

I can't find the tape drive. What I can probably do, is bring a system with a SCSI card installed, and if you can remove the tape drive from the POS system for a couple of hours, we can then restore a recent backup, and copy it onto a USB stick. Any day next week except Tuesday. It takes me about 2 and half hours to get to Hamilton Airport.

Please e-mail / PM me with pricing on what you would charge for this. Thanks!