Booting problem due to adding hard drive incorrectly

I have tried to (unsuccessfully) add an old drive to get drivers (for the 3Com network card) onto a Sco Openserver 5.1 server. Now it wont boot:
I used Sco Admin to do this.
It have 3 scuzzi drives
I added an IDE
I think what I did wrong was add the IDE to existing space, and I should not have

I am planning on resolving but would really appreciate some experienced input before I do this:

1. Boot using Linux boot CD
  2. Mount partitions
  3. Edit files pertaining to the mountable volumes to correct/revert

Dont know if anyone has a better solution or the answers.
The boot messages:
Gets to H iinit
"PANIC: srmountfun - Error 22 mounting rootdev hd (1/42)
Cannot dump 65375 pages to dumpdev hd (1/41): Space for only 0 pages

** Safe to Power Off **
-or-
** Press any key to Reboot"

The IDE drive takes precedence over the SCSI drives in the boot sequence.
If you are lucky enough to have a CMOS that will allow you to choose SCSI ahead of IDE in the boot sequence, you may be able to still make this configuration work.
The network card drivers will fit on a diskette.
It is unlikely that any Linux OS will recognize the SCO file systems.

At the boot: prompt enter unix.old to boot the old kernel (without the IDE drive configured)

Thanks for the quick reply:
Tried this: boot: unix.old and still got rhe same message:
I have also noticed that above the message given in the previous post it logs a message:
CONFIG: No chey SCSI devices configured (unit 0 missing)

Should I try installing a CD drive to the unit and booting and doing a repair if there is any?
Is there a bootable SCO version that runs from CD/Stiffie?

Did you remove the IDE drive. If you don't have an IDE CD drive, then you should also disable the IDE controller in the CMOS.
How many times did you re-link the kernel, if you did it more than once, then unix.old still has the IDE drive configured.
Try booting unix.safe, which is created at the time the OS is installed.

What SCSI controller are you working with? Some have capabilities of overriding the motherboard BIOS.
Some SCO versions allow you to escape out of the install script on the CD to run from memory. Not sure what versions and whether yours is one.

Sorry for the late post:
I have a Adaptec 2940W scsi controller card

Thanks for the replies

Tried to boot unix.safe and it gives me the same errors
Relinked the kernal at least twice so I reckon you are right about the previous setup is also bad

Disabled the IDE in CMOS
Still no joy

I have got the boot disks and wondering if I can get in like that

Thanks for the help

What is the exact release number, it is printed on both the boot diskette, and the CD.?
How many SCSI hard drives are in the system, and is the CD drive SCSI or IDE?

Since you don't appear to have a backup of the root file system, why not disconnect the SCSI disks, re-install the IDE drive as primary master, and install the operating system on the IDE drive, then re-connect the SCSI drive(s) and add them as secondary drives. When you add them using 'mkdev hd' be sure not to do a destructive scan, and in the divvy section not to mark any of the file systems as 'new'.