Boot Solaris off of an old external hard drive

Hi Folks,

First a little background, I am working on a ship that operates in the Indian Ocean and Persian/Arabian gulf area. We had a Sunblade 2000 that finally died. The Video board burned up and I guess damaged the mother board. So we ordered 2 rebuilt 2000s one as a spare. Due to mounting limitation we had to mount the computer on its side. It was discovered that the hard drive would crash so we installed an external hard drive running off an Antares SCSI control installed in one of the expansion slots.

Now the problem, I do not know how to get the new computer to boot off of the old external hard drive. As a caviat I am currently a UNIX/SOLARIS ignaramus all though I am working on getting better.

This may not have enough information to be allow knowlegable people to help. Please let me know if I can add any more information that might help.

One other thing, the computer won't boot up using it's own internal hard drive as well.

Thank you for any help.

Hello,

When you install Solaris, you should see your disks listed when asked where you want to install the OS.
Other than that, at the "ok" prompt, run the commands "probe-scsi-all" and "show-disks" and set the boot device to the external disk.