Boot problems with SunBlade 2000

Can't seem to get it to boot from cd

boot cd

rebooting with command: boot cd
boot device: /pci@8600000/sunw,qlc@4/fp@0,0/disk@1,0 file and args: cd
boot: cannot open cd
enter filename [cd]:

trying to install solaris 9 9/04 just to use it as a simple workstation on home network quite new to this obviously

Moved to SUN board.

run devalais and see what the name given to CDROM? if not then insted of CDROM give the full physical path of CD drive with boot.

try:
boot cdrom

tried boot cdrom and got
bad magic number in disk label
can't open disk label package

can't open boot device

Now using sol 10 dvd just recvd from sun

please run the following commands and post the output:

ok setenv auto-boot? false
ok reset-all
ok probe-scsi-all
ok devalias

first snytax returned false

ok reset-all
produced a screen blackout and what I think was a reboot?

ok probe-scsi-all 
/pci@8,600000/SUNW,qlc@4
LiD HA LUN  ---Port WWN ---  ----- Disk description -----
 2    2    0   21000004cfda6644 SEAGATE ST373307FSUN72G 0207
/pci@8,700000/scsi@6,1
/pci@8,700000/scsi@6
Target 6
  Unit 0 Removalable read only device Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M17111005
{0} ok devalias
screen           /pci@8,700000/sunw,m64b@1
mouse           /pci@8,700000/usb@5,3/mouse@4
keyboard       /pci@8,700000/usb@5,3/keyboard@3
disk1            /pci@8,60000/SUNW,qlc@4/fp@0,0/disk@2,0
disk0            /pci@8,60000/SUNW,qlc@4/fp@0,0/disk@1,0
disk             /pci@8,60000/SUNW,qlc@4/fp@0,0/disk@1,0
scsi             /pci@8,60000/SUNW,qlc@4
net             /pci@8,70000/network@5,1:
cdrom          /pci@8,70000/scsi@6/disk@6,0:f
tape                               /
tape1
tape0
beep
floppy
ttyb
ttya
name           aliases
{0} ok 
disk1

---------- Post updated at 01:10 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:09 AM ----------

scratch that disk1

you've the same problems with the new media from sun? your device path seems to be ok, so the "boot cdrom" should work... maybe the drive has a defect... do you have another (externel) dvd drive for testing reasons?
also you should install (if not done already) the newest OBP firmware... you'll find the patch on sunsolve (118323-01)

boot cdrom - install

bad magic label usually is a bad hard drive. I have seen many of these before even on a new system. We replaced the hard drive and it worked afterwards

OK different hard drive tried boot cdrom no joy tried boot cdrom-install
again no go Get a can't open boot device went thru all the aforementioned commands and it generated same info before
devalias shows cdrom /pci@8,700000/scsi@6/disk@6,0:f

I have a sunblade 100 that recognized the software and is connected to the net thru a router so I know the software is ok. I have another dvd that I could try, if it could be a hardware problem.

I had no problems setting up the 100 machine up and I am refusing to
give up the ship quite yet.

This can be as simple as a dirty/dusty lens in the CDrom drive. The devalias looks right when compared with your probe-scsi but I need to check when I come to the office to be 100% sure (we are a HP shop where I am at the moment). Was the DVD's downloaded or original disks? IF so make sure you burn DVD's using -R media and also at a slow speed. The DVD in a blade is a IDE one I think while the one in the 2000 is scsi and might behave differently.

Cheers Dyna

DVD is the latest version from SUN. Originals. I can give the drive a puff of air to dislodge any debris and give it another go. Will a external USB drive be recognized to use as a alternative to the internal one?

can you post the output of the command

ok banner

from OBP?

Sun Blade 2000/1000 (2 X Ultra SParc-III+) , Keyboard Present
Copyright 1998-2002 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Open Boot 4.5, 8192 MB Memory installed,Serial #56328373. Ethernet address 0:3:ba:5b:80:b5, Host ID:835b80b5.

as already told in one of my ealier posts, you should update your OBP firmware with the patch from sunsolve:
#118323-01: Sun Blade 1000, Sun Fire 280R, Netra[tm] T20, Sun Blade 2000

try to boot from dvd after the update...

I'll show my ignorance now, but exactly how do you do this?
I am assuming that I can download file on a floppy? then boot from that? I have no OS loaded on the machine at present.
Be patient I am a new learner and a slow one at that :slight_smile:

No floppy... you cant do that. you need a bootable cd or dvd

or a bootserver to boot over network. but if you have this, you can install solaris over network...

OK According to the readme file provided in the link provided earlier it says you have to have a OS present in order to update the machine with the patch.
I have no OS on it at this time so the patch is obviously a no go. Unless I am reading this wrong.
Since I'm not on a network that remedy is out too.
Would using a older version of the OS say Solaris9 be of any benefit ?
Or can I use a USB DVD and boot from that ?

you can try all that... i would use a virtual machine (if you don't have other hardware) with solaris and setup a install server with JET. it's easy and fast...